Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with taking off my V&H pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default help with taking off my V&H pipes

I had this up on the exhaust Forums.
When I got my 10 FXDC my Dealer installed the V & H Big Shots and complete stage-1 before it was delivered to my home. I had them put in the Quiet Baffles so I have no idea what they would sound like with the reg V & H baffles. I was very happy with the sound when the bike was brand new. Plenty loud with a deep tone. Fist time I rode it going slow at low rpm speeds under 20 mph they kind of had a resonating empty tin can sound but as soon as I got in to the throttle they sounded great. I now have 2931 miles on her. Over the last 3 weeks or so I notice the empty tin can sound is getting louder, or at lest lasting longer in to higher speeds. When I'm going slow in town now I don't think it sounds good at all. Every thing on my bike is tight including all Exhaust parts. I don't know if the Dealer did something wrong, could the wrapping had slid down a bit when they installed the baffles or something. I know some of you on here have the same baffles, could this odd resonating hollow sound I'm hearing be normal ? Thanks for any advice.
.................................................. .................................................. ...
2 guys said I should replace the baffle wrap. So I think that's what I will do. Question, Can I get just the heat shields off or will I need to take the complete pipes off? All this just to get 1 screw out that holds the baffle in. I did a Search but couldn't find the answer...Thanks.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

no need to remove the pipes to pull the baggles, pull the shields off, unscrew the baffles, and put in the new ones use the existing holes

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Thank you for the advice. I went ahead and took the pipes off, good thing I did the front gasket was pushed side ways and was blocking the exhaust by about 1/4" on one side. The wrap was not burned up but the top baffle had the wrap pushed up to one end and left about 1 1/2" with no wrap on the end at all. Al so had a large tear and a small hole in it, I definitely need to replace both of them now. I fond 2 places in Lansing that sells it but it's thicker, so I hope I can fit it in. I will give it a shot Tomorrow night.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you ever rechecked the flange nut torque? When new pipes are put on the nuts seem to loosen up a bit as the gasket compresses. May have loosened enough to be causing an exhaust leak. I checked mine probably 4 times before they finally remained torqued to the correct value.

Did the dealer give you the original baffles when they changed them out for the quiet ones? Possible they didn't bother to put the quiet ones in. I had the same kind of irritating sound with my original baffles that went away with the quiet setup.

Oops. We were both posting at the same time. Anyhow, don't forget to recheck the torque when you get things back together.

Last edited by Foodog; 07-06-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baggles

Regarding the baggles, the Big City Thunder baggles are the best. I run them in my V&H Straightshot slip-ons and they sound like a Harley from the 60's/70's.

When you put your exhaust pipes back on, remember to put Permatex anti-seize lubricant on the threads of the flange studs. If you don't they will gall. As someone else pointed out, you will need to check the torque on the exhaust flange bolts periodically until they stay at the correct torque.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Sonny's World
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the Big City Thunder baffles I have them in my SE II slip-ons....gives a very deep growl rather that that distinct V & H slapping sound.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Thank you for the advice. I went ahead and took the pipes off, good thing I did the front gasket was pushed side ways and was blocking the exhaust by about 1/4" on one side. The wrap was not burned up but the top baffle had the wrap pushed up to one end and left about 1 1/2" with no wrap on the end at all. Al so had a large tear and a small hole in it, I definitely need to replace both of them now. I fond 2 places in Lansing that sells it but it's thicker, so I hope I can fit it in. I will give it a shot Tomorrow night.
It can be a pain in the *** wrapping the baffles and then sliding them in with out the wrap moving and getting jammed up, especially with the way V&H just tapes the wrap on. I used safety wire to retain the wrap and it works pretty good. Here is post on what I did.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6902030-post3.html

Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rdondes
Regarding the baggles, the Big City Thunder baggles are the best. I run them in my V&H Straightshot slip-ons and they sound like a Harley from the 60's/70's.

When you put your exhaust pipes back on, remember to put Permatex anti-seize lubricant on the threads of the flange studs. If you don't they will gall. As someone else pointed out, you will need to check the torque on the exhaust flange bolts periodically until they stay at the correct torque.
ha ha ha man i just read the post and realized i wrote that!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
up-date.
Got the new wrap on. I had to buy 1 1/4" thick but I got it to pull apart to about 3/8 thick, still thicker then the very thin V&H wrap. Sounds better in the garage. For some reason it seems to backfire a bit more and they sound louder when they do pop. I will know for sure after this weekend. We are riding the bikes up to are cabin by Mancelona Mi. Should top 500 miles this weekend. Leaving at 1:00 PM today.
I will up-date on how the new wrap worked out when I get back Sunday.