Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my drive belt rubbing on the belt guard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Why is my drive belt rubbing on the belt guard?

At first I thought it was because it has lowered shocks since I can see where the bottom edge of the fender was hitting the guard. I clearanced the bottom of the fender and put some tape over the scar to see if it would hit again. It did riding two up so I clearanced it some more, marked the belt, and took it out by myself. No marks on the top of the belt guard this time but you can see by the fresh crayon mark that it's still rubbing the guard. My suspicion is the belt is flapping enough to do this but why would it do that? Wrong belt tension? As heavy as the guard is and as far away from the belt as it is it seems like it would really show some signs of being bent if it was that far out of whack but it doesn't. It was like this when I got it and has been that way long enough for the scar on top of the guard to have a little rust where it went through the chrome. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Last edited by chuckw2; 07-05-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe your belt is trying to tell you something..........that the belt-guard is fugly and should be removed. That should solve the problem

Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job you had a belt guard on when the fender hit it..otherwise you would have had bigger problems..so +1 on a belt guard with lowered shocks(just in case). Find better lowered shocks or set them harder.

That the belt still rubs the guard from the inside is strange..is it an after market BG or original,belt OE spec ? ? You sure its not bent after being hit by the fender ? I'd check the tension,guard etc and try again..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
Good job you had a belt guard on when the fender hit it..otherwise you would have had bigger problems..so +1 on a belt guard with lowered shocks(just in case). Find better lowered shocks or set them harder.

That the belt still rubs the guard from the inside is strange..is it an after market BG or original,belt OE spec ? ? You sure its not bent after being hit by the fender ? I'd check the tension,guard etc and try again..
thanks! OE belt guard (upper). Belt tension seems ok. Progressive 11" inch shocks set on stiffest setting. Fender still hitting the guard although in a new place since I clearanced it today. Belt left a lot of crayon on the inside of the guard after todays ride. Just can't believe the guard could bend far enough down to hit the belt and not be bent permanently in that position (it's not). Don't know specs on the belt-it is aftermarket ( Dayco Panther ).

Last edited by chuckw2; 07-05-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the pulley OEM spec diameter? Just a little bigger and it will rub over the bumps... add that to the lowered shocks and it will rub over the bumps.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Is the pulley OEM spec diameter? Just a little bigger and it will rub over the bumps... add that to the lowered shocks and it will rub over the bumps.
The shocks shouldn't affect clearance between belt and guard, but if the rear pulley is larger than stock, or the guard is not stock, either (or both) could cause a lack of clearance.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Originally Posted by grbrown
The shocks shouldn't affect clearance between belt and guard, but if the rear pulley is larger than stock, or the guard is not stock, either (or both) could cause a lack of clearance.
pulley and guard both original as far as I can tell. There's at least 3/4" clearance between the belt and the guard. crayon left marks on the guard almost back to the rear pulley. Something strange going on here. Maybe I worry too much.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Or the fender landed on the guard and smashed it down due to lowering, lots of passenger weight, potholes or a combo of all three.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by chuckw2
pulley and guard both original as far as I can tell. There's at least 3/4" clearance between the belt and the guard. crayon left marks on the guard almost back to the rear pulley. Something strange going on here. Maybe I worry too much.
No, if the belt has rubbed the guard, but they are 3/4" apart then dark forces are at work! That guard bracket does not look as if it has deformed by 3/4" and sprung back perfectly straight, either. Something of a mystery.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Or the fender landed on the guard and smashed it down due to lowering, lots of passenger weight, potholes or a combo of all three.

No, if the belt has rubbed the guard, but they are 3/4" apart then dark forces are at work! That guard bracket does not look as if it has deformed by 3/4" and sprung back perfectly straight, either. Something of a mystery.
the guard has been hit by the fender but but like you say it really seems like if it had bent that far it wouldn't come back straight. talked to a long time HD mechanic today. he says the shorter shocks are putting the belt higher up in the swingarm arc and causing it to run loose enough in that position to flap up into the guard. he suggested either going to a smaller rear pulley to give the belt more room or back to stock length shocks.

Quick Reply: Why is my drive belt rubbing on the belt guard?