Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my drive belt rubbing on the belt guard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Just FYI in case anyone else has this problem. Took off the shocks and moved the swingarm up by hand. As the arm goes up the belt gets closer to the guard. At the point of contact between the guard and fender the belt is almost touching the guard so any amount of flapping in the belt will make it rub. It was also rubbing the upper part of the primary and on the fender itself causing a bevel on the inner edge of the belt. I bought a new set of 12" shocks and problem is solved. 11" are just too short for what I do with this bike. I've read and heard several places that the belt tension gets tighter as the swingarm moves up. Not true. It gets looser. At least it does if the swingarm is above the point at which the rear pully, front pulley, and swingarm mount are in line with each other.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Mystery solved then...should be in the *Strange but True* section..

I have 11" HD Progressives on my 07 Street Bob and ride often with the girlfriend,even loaded up and even though I've read that the fender could hit the beltguard or the passenger foot peg mount on the other side it has'nt happened to me and have ridden some rough roads and hit pot holes (ouch!) so guess I'm just lucky.

Attached Thumbnails Why is my drive belt rubbing on the belt guard?-sb-sweden-178.jpg  
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
Mystery solved then...should be in the *Strange but True* section..

I have 11" HD Progressives on my 07 Street Bob and ride often with the girlfriend,even loaded up and even though I've read that the fender could hit the beltguard or the passenger foot peg mount on the other side it has'nt happened to me and have ridden some rough roads and hit pot holes (ouch!) so guess I'm just lucky.
must be the year difference. you've got more clearance there than I did with the 11's. WG's have a few idiosyncracies I didn't know about. But I still love it!