Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I could MARRY my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default If I could MARRY my bike!

This would be the one! I've owned close to 40 bikes in my life. In the last 12 years, I've owned 6 Harleys and a Kawasaki ( C14 concours). When I bought this Dyna, to "slow down" from the Kaw, I was less than impressed as it seemed very "rough" compared to the C14 smoooooth. But I also remembered I always felt that selling my first Superglide ( second in the line of six Harleys) was a mistake, as I never "bonded" with the Softails I owned. I like their "looks" but never their ride. Just before the C14 I also owned and very much liked my V-Rod, but the "Rod" had several issues I never could get past. ( valve adjustments, lack of cornering clearence, and the damn gas gage that Harley still has not fixed!).

After several thousand miles my Superglide is either getting much smoother ( with break in miles) or as an old fart, I have forgotten what smooth felt like!??!

But of all the Harleys I've owned, I love the 96 cu.in. torque (all the others except the Rod were 88's) and this six speed is by far the best shifting transmission Harley has ever made. ( again forgetting the V-Rod as that wasn't a traditional "Harley" trans.)

The ride and handling are just fine for a cruiser type bike, ( I did add a fork brace, left over from my V-Rod and it really helps the front end feedback!)and my backroad lifestyle of riding. Like a Peter Egan article several months ago, I also see no need to change the pipes on my 09 Dyna. It sounds good under load and quite enough around town. ( Age may have some affect on that opinion! But I like the stock sound. And as I've had FAST, and wanted "slower" I also have left even the intake stock!)

This Dyna is exactly what I imagined it would be from my past experience with my other Superglide.

And just like any old married guy! I still lust in my heart for an MV Agusta Brutale, or similar NAKED bike, but if I'm stuck with just one, I'll keep this Dyna a long time!

P.S.
I should add, if I see you on the road, I'll wave! 'cause when I started riding 48 years ago, there were not many folks out on motorcycles ( yes we thought our Yamaha 80's were motorcycles), and we happily waved at any other guy that rode! Of course that was before "pirates" "posers", "real bikers", "power rangers","rubs","crotch rockets" and "squids" were all made subdivisions of MOTORCYLING! And most of the "tough guys" that are too cool and too "Alienated" from each other to wave, had not yet been BORN!
Cheers! ( from a guy that still feels sixteen when he rides!)

Attached Thumbnails If I could MARRY my bike!-dyna65f.jpg  

Last edited by FBRR; 07-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Harley?

I saw your posting under the "Let's see your Dyna Super Glide Pictures"; thought that your bike was the best of the bunch. Love that windshield. Then I find your posting here. Well, I have also had six Harleys in the last ten years. Two softails and four touring bikes. Present Street Glide is in the shop for repairs after an accident; ran over a small piece of chrome in heavy traffic, slow speed. Down I went; twisted ankle and fractured fibula after getting my foot jammed between the hinged floor board and brake peddle. I had already decided to trade the Street Glide for the Dyna Super Glide Custom. Need something lighter and easier to handle and bale out of. I think that the FXDC will do that just fine. I am getting a little tired of spending so much for all of these Harley's. Let's hope this next one is the last.

Attached Thumbnails If I could MARRY my bike!-flhx-3-30-2010-007.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. the shield is a Mephis shades that I had on my V-Rod. I reversed two of the mounts to get the angle the same as my forks. It works to keep the wind off my chest and leaves my head in the wind with no "buffeting" from the helmet.
Good luck with your new ride!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default attsamybike!

Originally Posted by FBRR
This would be the one!

But of all the Harleys I've owned, I love the 96 cu.in. torque...
and this six speed is by far the best shifting transmission Harley has ever made...
The ride and handling are just fine for a cruiser type bike...
I also see no need to change the pipes on my 09 Dyna. It sounds good under load and quite enough around town. ( Age may have some affect on that opinion! But I like the stock sound...
I've had FAST...
I also have left even the intake stock!)

This Dyna is exactly what I imagined it would be from my past experience with my other Superglide...
Reading your post I thought: "Holy crap! Those could be my exact words! That's exactly how I feel about my bike." Then I saw that you had a photo attached....whaddauno? Attsamybike! Appears we both love even the exact same bike! And with good reason.

I had at first thought to change out the slip-ons, and had even bought a mint set of Rush 2.0's from another member, but finally decided I liked the stock ones just fine, and so do my neighbors, and especially I wished to avoid potential legal issues (California bike). Re-sold the 2.0's

My last Harley was an EVO, an '89 FXRS-SP, a marvelous bike that I loved. My '09 is so close a match that I am well satisfied. Even, by chance, the color is close; the '89 was black with a red pinstripe and lots of chrome--the '09, though more silver, has all black trim w/ red pinstripe + chrome.

I'm 66 and ride solo, trekking with 60+# of gear. My bike is my pack-mule and steed. Bought it w/ 6600-miles; it now has ~8300 miles. I have had a fairly good chance to try it out in mostly mountainous areas to 9,000'+. The 96" motor is plenty strong, and the 6-speed is a noticeable improvement in smoothness as well as providing an OD.

Great post and fantastic coincidence!

Love your bike!

Attached Thumbnails If I could MARRY my bike!-yosemite-9n.jpg