Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H fuelpak fitment problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006 | 02:27 AM
RMBob
|
Cruiser
Default V&H fuelpak fitment problem

I just got the V&H Straightshot slip-ons and the V&H Fuelpak today for my Bob. I installed them both today and the bike is running good. I took the football cover off of my stock filter for today to let some more air in while I test ran the bike because my Big Sucker A/C is not due to arrive until Monday.

Here is the problem. I have tried everything I can to get the Fuelpak ECM connector to fit under the seat, but can't quite get it down far enough to clear the bottom of the seat. It is connected and working, but it sits up a little too high above the frame, so the seat hits the ECM connector when I put it on. I am concerned the seat will break the connector. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to move the ECM connector lower?

Old 08-26-2006 | 07:43 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Default RE: V&H fuelpak fitment problem

I think mine is tucked under the ecm. I had to remove all the wire clamps that are suppose to fit into the frame to make room.
Keep trying you'll get it.

Old 08-26-2006 | 08:54 AM
naughtynigel
Advanced

Hi mvlow, & mikeurig,

Try finding my message about this originally posted on 8/8/2006 2:18:52
I have tried to foward this on to you but my computor skills are very limited.
Keep trying ,it seems that the cables are about an inch to short but eventually it will just slot into place.
Mine is fitted above the factory ECM , extremly tight fit but bike is running great.

Good luck

Nige

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:31 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

Here it is

https://www.hdforums.com/m_667111/tm.htm

Old 08-26-2006 | 03:24 PM
RMBob
|
Cruiser

It took me about 1 1/2 hours this morning and a lot of sweat but I finally figured it out. Instead of trying to cram the Bikes ECM connector inside the little hole under the seat I did the following, and it worked like a charm. It was much easier to connect everything because there was a little more slack in the cables and it fit like a glove.

1. I disconnected all of the cables to the ECM and Fuelpak, to basically start again.

2. I took out the Torx screws and allen key screw from the ECM box and pulled it out.

3. I took out the battery and completely took out the battery box to allow for room to work. The battery box is only held in by three Torx screws.

4. Here is where I changed the way I routed the ECM connectors. I pulled the stock gray ECM connector through the gap between the ECM box and the frame, so that it is now in front of the frame in the engine area and not under the seat. This gives more cable length to manipulate the stock ECM connector.

5. I then fed the Fuelpak ECM connector through the engine side of the frame into the ECM box. I then connected the Stock gray ECM connector to the black Fuelpak connector on the outside of the frame, not in the area under the seat. The Fuelpak gray ECM connector then will fairly easily clip into the ECM module.

6. I then fed the Fuelpak itself through the gap between the ECM box and the frame so it is now in the hole under the seat, where the ECM connector used to be.

7. When I put everthing back together, the stock ECM connector sits firmly against the outside of the black frame in the engine compartment area and not under the seat. The Fuelpak itself is under the seat for easy access.

I was a little concerned about the ECM connector being close to the engine at first, but it actually sits back against the frame and will not move. There are plenty of other electrical wires that Harley has put in that area that are closer to the engine than the ECM connector. The ECM connector is also protected from the elements on the left side by the ECM box and the right side by the battery box.

The Bob fired up fine and did not seem to have any flat spots. I have to still take it for a test run to really check everything out. The only other thing of note is that I could not get the allen key screw back into the ECM box. I have read other threads where people have had that same problem. The ECM box is still firmly held in place, however, by the Torx screws on the top of the frame.

Old 08-26-2006 | 06:25 PM
RMBob
|
Cruiser

I went to the power commander website out of curiosity to see what they do with their ECM connectors on the Dyna. Go figure, according to their instructions they zip tie them to the outside of the ECM box, right where I put the connectors for the Fuelpak install. So if you are installing the Fuelpak, just follow the PC III directions for the stock ECM plug. Maybe V&H should read the PCIII instructions and change theirs

Old 08-26-2006 | 08:15 PM
naughtynigel
Advanced

Guys, thanks for all the info,

Rode a 100 miles around the Essex/ Hertfordshire (ENGLAND) countryside this afternoon , just pottering around between 20-40 miles per hour taking in the views , twisty roads ,thatched cottages, village greens, cricket matches, country pubs.
On the way home ,took it up to 100, just to see what it would do ....... pulled strong ,little popping on deceleration, NICE ! (still more to come )
Bike running nice.
Dont want to play about with fuelpak at the moment, as bike is going so well.
Enjoy your ride where ever you are.

Nige