Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Super Glide total weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 PM
GMDayna88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Super Glide total weight

2006 Super Glide total weight Hey all. I picked up a 2006 super glide and need to know how much weight I can carry. Bike weighs 663.0 pounds and total gross weight 1085 lbs. So that means 442 pounds for riders and extras. That doesn't leave much room for error. Can I go heaver with out getting to the point it's dangerous? I'm a big guy and my (new) lady is full figure. I think i need a bigger bike. Or smaller lady.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 PM
TheCanuck
Novice

Get some heavy duty progressive shocks and new front springs and the bike will handle like a dream. I'm 230 and the wife is just under the deuce mark. The new hd shocks worked wonders for us.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

My combined passenger weight is about 450lbs fully dressed on my Low Rider, and close to 500 with all my gear loaded on. I had to upgrade to better rear shocks. The stock Showa's could not handle all the weight. A set of 440HD progressives does just fine.

Not enough rear shock. Fenders about an inch from hitting:

Plenty or rear shock:

Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
GMDayna88
Advanced

Thank you Thecanuk and Bikerlaw. I never thought of new shocks. I was worried about spokes or tires damage. I'll have to look into progressives. Good looking bike Bikerlaw. I like the natural color bags and the springer front end. I should drop some weight it would be a better idea. Be safe and enjoy. Glenn

Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Charlie [Mortis421]
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this site:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/drpatdyna.html

I was uncertain which "fit my Dyna" ...

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Those are great pics! That lady deserves the best. Don't buy shocks in a box off the shelf. Get them from a supplier who will custom-build them so you have the correct springs and good quality damping.

I have custom-built Ohlins from HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal on my Glide. They are the only shocks I have tried that have stopped my bike bottoming out when we are 2-up. I cannot describe the wonder and pleasure of riding over bumps and potholes and NOT bottoming out! What is not immediately obvious is that because the bike rides so much better and smoother it is more comfortable when riding long distances.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Frisco Mobber
Advanced

HD shocks

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
GMDayna88
Advanced

Great input. Things sure have changed over the years (I haven't ridden in a long time).
So much to chose from. So far not a lot of problems. Our roads have been recently repaved. Just wonder if the old Dyna defender shocks would work. Years ago I blew a tire on I-90 going camping in New York. I haven't forgot that one. It was an old KZR900 Kaw. Had my hands full. I went to a 1982 FLT. Should have never sold it. I like the Dyna. So I'll look around and ask questions before I jump. Thank you for the replies. Glenn

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't yet, make sure you boost the stock shocks to their highest pre-load position while you are deciding on something new. I did this and while it is not the optimum solution it helped with the bottoming.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
GMDayna88
Advanced

Originally Posted by spaceblue
If you haven't yet, make sure you boost the stock shocks to their highest pre-load position while you are deciding on something new. I did this and while it is not the optimum solution it helped with the bottoming.
Thank you spaceblue I'll try that first until I can save up some money to spring for progresives.

Quick Reply: 2006 Super Glide total weight