Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this everything I need to replace the IPB

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Parts Eater-
You can get away with reusing the primary gasket (as long as you dont kink it), and the starter O-ring. The 5 magic screws can be reused once, but I wouldnt try twice. You can snot the post gasket if you feel you need to. The inner primary gasket is a one-time crush gasket, so you ought to replace that one.

Patrick-
I havent seen a failure on a Baker I've installed yet. The part that scares me about it is if it does, the inner race is gonna get hot, and possibly sieze to the input shaft of the trans. I'm not looking forward to doing that job cause its gonna be expensive!

Also, the "good-will" fix from HD isnt a be-all-end-all for the problem. The newer indexed cases are having bearing failures, just not as often (and more random) as the non-indexed 06 ones are. I'm getting ready to put a third into an 08 right now (my bike). I'll continue to use the original bearing and race until the stock on the shelf is gone. Then I'll put a Baker in mine (or retire the bike).

Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yup

I kinda had that feeling about the new doweled cases not truly being a fix for anything. I really feel that the problem is the crappy style of bearing that is being used by HD and not an alignment issue. I have 16k on my 06 and the bearing looks good and so does the race.

I am concerned about the Baker unit eliminating the press fit tranny shaft sleeve. I guess I am gonna use the Baker bearing with a 15k service rotation. At leats with the Baker I dont need special tools to remove and install that inner race.

Thank You for the heads up on the reusing of certain gaskets.

Do you have a mileage report from the installed Baker Bearings??

Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

So far, its been just under 30k on the Baker and it's not singing the blues. For most riders, thats a lifetime.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh, and it isnt the bearing that causes the problem. If you ever saw the crappy machining used on the inner race, you'd understand why they fail. The first time I replaced one, the only thing that came to mind was "Guaranteed Failure". I'd swear they ran out of cutting oil when they ground the face

Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I owe you a beer...

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Oh, and it isnt the bearing that causes the problem. If you ever saw the crappy machining used on the inner race, you'd understand why they fail. The first time I replaced one, the only thing that came to mind was "Guaranteed Failure". I'd swear they ran out of cutting oil when they ground the face
Thats what I needed to know, I am callin Baker right now and ordering the bearing and seal kit.

It looks like I can bump up that schedule to 30k rotations. If you are ever at the beach in NC , I owe you a beer. Thank You

Bearing kit ordered

Last edited by parts eeter; 07-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.