Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this everything I need to replace the IPB

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

MoCo is not doing stator/rotor upgrades for free, that I know of. I had them check mine closely both times they were in there for IPB failures...my rotor was fine both times. If you've got them into it that deep anyway, it would be a good time to have them install the single piece rotor and matching stator.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I will pass on HD wrenchin on my ride

Well, being a mechanic by trade I have a hard time letting anyone even think about twisting a wrench on my bike. So if they arent gonna fix the stator problem, I will just pay for the parts and update the stator/ rotor, and put the Baker IPB on it while I am in there. Thanks for the info. Sometimes free isnt for me.....

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

I can understand that. But consider that the problem isn't bad bearings/races (3-4 failures/replacements by other '06 owners). When/if your Baker eats it, due to case mis-alignment, H-D will likely deny the good-will case upgrade they will do now, if they know (or can see by the bearing identification) that you've been inside there on your own. Then, the REAL fix (-06A IP and Tranny cases) will be out of your wallet. FWIW. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
Please make sure when you do this there is a big c clip that goes in the primary cover, holding the bearing in seat, it has to be turned so the opening of the clip is aligned with the oil passage in the primary cover, if it's not the clip will block the bearing from getting proper oil, and bad things will happen. Either do this yourself with a set of race tools or physically tell em and watch the process, at the very very minimum, take a small inspection mirror with you, because once the seal is in you can't see the clip orientation except with a small mirror, and if it's not right, you will need them to redo the seal, but of course that will cost you another baker seal, which they don't stock so verify before they put seal in, clip is correct. It's spelled out in service manual as well, and don't ask how I know this painful ordeal, but I know.
The baker bearing is a sealed bearing wouldn't that eliminate the importance of oiling the bearing through that tiny hole? I can't remember when I put mine in if I payed attention to that or not.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Thanks for the heads up

Well if it eats a Baker bearing than I will reinstall an OEM unit and when that one fails I will take it in to the stealership and have them do their thing. Thank You for the info,but I have never been a big fan of needle type bearings and HD seems to use them on everything. So I will ditch it for a roller sealed bearing and fix the stator / rotor issue as well while I am in there.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

That's a good plan. I hope the Baker bearing holds up, and you never have to deal with the issue again. Save that bad stock bearing, and re-install it if the Baker goes bad...then you wouldn't have to wait for a "new" stock bearing to fail (again). Best of luck.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Hey Hogrida

Hey Hogrida, How many miles you got on that bearing so far?? Was your IPB burnt up or did u just install Baker for preventive. Mileage then and now would be great....

Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Hey Hogrida, How many miles you got on that bearing so far?? Was your IPB burnt up or did u just install Baker for preventive. Mileage then and now would be great....
My IPB was fine, had no signs of wear. @ 14k my main drive bearing went out, so while I had everything torn apart I welded my 2 piece stator and replaced the stock IPB with the baker bearing. Since then I've done about 2500 miles.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default OK

Well Hogrida, I have been contemplating just welding the stock rotor on mine,if its all good when I pull it apart. Definitely gonna do the Baker upgrade though.

I just had the inner and outer primary off to reinstall mids. I replaced all the gaskets and sealing fasteners. Did you reuse your gaskets, or has anybody reused all of the gaskets and had no leaks. I really would rather save the dough on the gaskets,being that they only have about 1k miles on them. They were like 70 bux total!!

When you welded your rotor did you weld the bolt head side? I am gonna do a search now,but if you have a pic or link that would be great.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I just Tigged a couple of tack welds on the bolt heads, to keep them from backing out. Thedonthere has a pic. I did mine the same.
As fas as reusing gaskets goes, I've been know to do it. However I don't like to reuse the hard to reach ones, like the crank to primary gasket. The tower gasket only costs a buck so get one of those. So on this job the only one I might reuse would be the outter primary gasket.

Quick Reply: Is this everything I need to replace the IPB