Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Cables: Throttle, Clutch, Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Aftermarket Cables: Throttle, Clutch, Brake

I'm finally getting around to installing shorter throttle cables on my FXDWG. The previous owner switched from mini apes to drag bars but never changed the cables so they're way long.

Which cables should I get and how do I determine the right length? Same goes for the front brake line and clutch cable.

Thanks!

PS: I want braided, of course!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Cables: Throttle, Clutch, Brake

Barnett makes good quality replacements and HD actually has a pretty good selection also. As far as measuring them, you should have enough slack in them so they don't bind or tighten up when the bars are turned side to side. Turn the bars to the left where they'll be stretched as far as they can and then measure how much slack you have. The slack should be an indication of how much shorter you can go w/o having any problems.

If you're unsure, to to an Indy or HD dealer and let them measure the cables up for you. Should not be a real problem to buy the correct length and get them installed properly.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:43 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<”czissman”>

<”Which cables should I get and how do I determine the right length? Same goes for the front brake line and clutch cable.”>

Russell and Barnett two good makers both been in the cables biz very long time Barnett is famous of course for their clutches and of course then came cables, their weak link are oil/brake lines that was the last line they got into, Russell owns the oil/brake lines just look at the fittings alone, I would give the nod to Barnett for the cables.

The right length. Well the easiest way is to go to the dealer and get it done, but more $$ and don’t think they will be done right in all cases, I guess some become lazy, who knows, I’ve seen some w/way too much cable ? then needed.

You can do it yourself, one way get a cloth tape measuring tape, dimension each one, go the interference route, front end lock to lock (it’s better to follow existing cables) find the right amount to get rid of.

We use to take stiff wire (like 10/12ga solid core elec. wire) run along side existing ones (get someone to help or tape it) or w/o a set on, go right into connections at both ends, take off and measure the wire, don’t forget to tell who ever going to make them, the measurements are end to end or stop to stop, Barnett will know how much cable tubing is off at both ends w/your model and year, if you have custom levers tell them. (anchor style could be different)

Good luck,
cj

Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

As CJ stated, I raided my wife's sewing stuff and used her cloth tape measure (the floppy kind) to figure out the lengths for my Apes. Just run it the way you'd like it routed and there you go. Instead of custom ordered, I went with what the dealer had closest to the length without going under my measurements. There's always a couple of ways to eat up an inch or so of "too much" cable.

Whiff

Old 08-26-2006, 02:37 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<”Whiff boy”>

<” I raided my wife's sewing stuff and used her cloth tape measure (the floppy kind) to figure out the lengths for my Apes. Just run it the way you'd like it routed and there you go.">

Not me I didn’t raid her sewing stuff, I own one, got it years ago for measuring anything from cable lengths to head, gloves, chest size, etc, etc. works better than a 25 foot metal tape ! yeah, found that out fast : - )

Anyway Whiff, I hope you gave her cloth tape back w/o any grease on it !!!!

Thats why, I have my own : - ))))

cj

Old 08-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

She never knew.

Whiff

Old 08-26-2006, 04:22 PM
killer.com
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CZ-another way. If your cables are stock, disconnect the clutch and one of the throttle cables from the clutch lever and throttle grip. Now hold the loose cable ends were you took them off from and subtract the difference from the stock length (this is the housing difference). Hope that made sense. And order that length. I'm at work or I'd look thru my records, as I put the same bars on my 06 wg. You can use a wire as mentioned above for the brake line. Just remember when ordering the brake line, go from center to center of the banjo fittings if ordering a line with the fittings installed. Or go from the end of one fitting to the other, and order the two fittings with the seperate brake line.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:04 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<” Whiff”>

<”She never knew. “>

N i c e ………….. btw- I have a plastic coated one holds up better and doesn’t stretch w/age

cj