Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
2wheels1love
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide Pipes

So I picked up a wide glide about 500 miles ago. Love it.

I am thinking when I have some money again (might be a while before that happens) I want to change the pipes. I love the V&H big radius 2 into 2 pipes, but they are a bit pricey. Any know of other options which may not be so much? What about slip on's - are they worth the money?

One thing I dont like about the stock pipes is they seem to blow a TON of heat onto my leg, and the air filter. I rest my leg against the air filter when ridding and that thing gets HOT. My nightster didnt have this problem, is just the bigger engine of the dyna, or something different pipes might fix?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BR pipes and the SE Heavy Breather. I put them both on as soon as my bike came out of the crate, so I have no idea what the stock pipes sound like or how the stock A/C feels......I just know they were both ugly as sin (IMO) and had to go before I'd get on it, lol.

That aside, I have to say that with my setup my leg NEVER hits the air intake, and the pipes do not get hot on my leg at all while riding. They definately get louder with miles, but are not obnoxious...I do still have the baffles in, too.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

V&H short shots. Not a very good pipe to add torque to the ride, but they look killer and are very reasonably priced. Also a great performing pipe that has a good price tag... Bassani prostreet 2-2 pipes.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

love my short shots take out the baffles to reduce the "tiny" sound... look on youtube for sound clips of different exhausts...

Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
highpinehunter
Advanced

I just upgraded my wide glide,I went with fuelmoto's efi tuner,their stage 1 air cleaner and Rush 5130st pipes.What a difference.Awesome sound,no more heat on my leg and much better power delivery.Save your money and do all 3 upgrades,it is well worth it.Check out the pipes on rush's website.I bought them from motorcycle superstore for $280.00.Fuelmoto offers a $319.00 package deal on the tuner and filter.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
daBreeze
Tourer

well if you dont want to spend a lot of change a few of us with pre-08 wgs bought these hookers off of ebay delivered to our front door for~120. They aint no vance and hines but they damn sure look and sound better than my old se2 slips on i originally had. Not to say I havnt had a problem with them, one of my HS clamps was loose and one of the baffles was clanging around (rattling- drove me nukin futz, it took me awhile to figure out what it was). Fixed it by wrapping some welders tape around the end of the baffle. Lots of different styles were avail but none for newer bikes and you didnt say what year yours is. anyway, heres a link to the ones I bought, if you decide to buy a set read the add carefully because the pic is not always the same as whats described. I like the looks, i am thinking about changing the baffles to BCT's but for the price you cant beat. (at least I dont think you can)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Samson shorties, Stage 1 ac and remap. Just another option among many good choices.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

I suggest samson pipes over vance and hines.

Change your air filter...unless you find some skinny low profile air cleaner you will always rest your leg against it, unless you get one of those weird lookin ones that faces forward. I have the arlen ness double barrel, it may be big but it never get's hot and my leg rests against it perfectly.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to get rid of the original pipes that came on mine because they both go forward and come together right where your foot is, man them babys was burning up my right foot, and the pipe from the rear cylinder shot forward and at an angle right under your leg and it would burn up the leg as well...V&H short shots made mine much better, always will be some heat.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM
martwg
Intermediate

+1 on the Short Shots.There is a guy local to me with them on a 2009 Street Bob and whenever he rides past it sounds awesome.I think the black ones look really good but you can't go wrong with the chrome either IMO,Ebay is your friend for pipes.

I have V&H Big Radius 2-2 (black) on mine and love them but i bought my bike with them on,if they weren't on there when i bought it,i probably wouldn't have paid to put them on,they are very expensive.

Slip ons are a cheaper option but i hate the looks of the stock pipes (i'm sure some will disagree but it's just my opinion).

It is worth remembering though that with slip-ons,you won't have to alter the fuelling on the bike whereas if you put short-shots etc on you will need a high-flow air filter and some sort of EFI re-map (Power Commander,SERT etc) to make it run right which will be expensive.

Good luck deciding and be sure to post pics of what you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Pipes