Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internally wiring Z-bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internally wiring Z-bars

Hey guys, getting a set of 12" z-bars for the bob, and I plan to internally wire them, I just wonder, for those of you who have done it, is it extremely difficult to get the wires to pass by the extreme angles? How did you do it?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i got no advice other than to say that yes it is damn near impossible to get around the extreme angles, I bought a set of z bars and I finally just gave up on them, I tried every method known to man on wireing internally....to many wires, angles to sharp.....

someone who has done it can chime in

good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 AM
DXrider
Cruiser

I have the 12 inch z bars from j&p. I wired them myself... it was a bit of a pain. You need to tie something to 1 end and grease the wires a little. Its not that bad.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
rmarfil
Intermediate

It was a pain in the *** but I got it done. It took me 6 hours start to finish and a case of beer I did not do anything special, just slowly inched the cables through the bars.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I did it with the low profile "crazy zbars", really really extreme tight hard corners. Do a search on them and you will see what I am talking about. pic below:

COMPLETE PITA to be honest. My advice...Seriously... if you have the cash pay someone (a pro), to do it.

Believe it or not I eventually decided not to mount them DOH! I never finished reassembling the plastic housing with the metal connects. It was a learning experience I tell you. Still not sure I didn't strip a few of the wires in the process to be honest. Maybe someday I will mount them for kicks seeing as how much of a pita it was to do.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It isn't that bad if you follow a couple of tips.
First take all the wires out of the bundle so you can run them one at a time.
Get some electricians lube, or dish soap, fishing line, and a spool of weedeater line.
Start by taking about a 3 foot piece of fishing line, and taping one end to the end of the spool of the weadeater line, then start the other end into the hole near the grip on the bars. Cover the other grip hole with tape, then use a vacuum cleaner to suck the fishing line though the hole near the risers. Now pull the fishing line to draw the weedeater line through the bars. Do not cut the weed eater line from the spool, jst let it unwind. Now take the end of your first wire, and tape it to the weedeater line near the grip hole. YOu need to secure it pretty good, so tape up about 4 inches of the wire to the weedeater line. put a litte lube inside the grip hole, and gently pulle the wire through. Once the wire is through the riser hole, cut the tape off the wire you just pulled through, and tape your next wire to the weedeater line and repeat with the rest of your wires.

This process will make it pretty easy to pull them through the angles.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
laroc
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I did mine on my old Sporty and although it was a pain to do at the time it was great knowing I did it myself in the end.
I used some Heavy gage Fishing wire to pull each wire through individually.
Just take your time and good luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of bars are you getting? The Road6Customs bars are easy to wire. The ends of each piece of tubing are left open so you can get to each corner and help the wires around the corners. After its done you plug the holes with the caps that come with them.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 AM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrapped some tape around the wires about 3" form the end. Then I tucked the end of the wires into the wire protection sleave so that the tape was now at the end. Then I pushed a length of welding wire, mig, through the bar and tied it around the taped end. Then I wrapped some more tape to make the end of the wire bundle as tight as possible. Then I fed the bundle through the bar pulling the mig wire and pushing the wire bundle until I worked the bundle through. There was a lot of back and forth motion to get it through. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did mine one at a time worked fine.

Quick Reply: Internally wiring Z-bars