Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportbike suspension on a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting the best suspension on a sportbike only makes sense as they are designed for it. The only reason they don't come with it from Japan is the cost factor, Ducati can do it because people are willing to pay that much for a Duc.

We will have agree to disagree on the effects of top quality modern suspension on Harley's garbage chassis.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by nathanw
The original question was about sport bike suspension which to me implies trying to make a Harley handle like a sport bike. Anyone with a shred of honesty knows that the Harley chassis can best be described as archaic, so throwing modern suspension at it will only magnify it deficiencies.

You can put lipstick on a pig.....
The OP also later told us he has an XR and would like similar forks on his Dyna. Throwing modern suspension on any bike will bring improvements, even if it won't convert it into a track bike. It is not a waste of time, although it can be expensive.

You need to get out there and try a Harley fitted with truly modern suspension. Be assured they DO improve ride, handling and comfort. I am one of those who has already done it and proved it.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The original question was about sport bike suspension which to me implies trying to make a Harley handle like a sport bike.
Sorry for misleading that case, but I'm not trying to make my Harley a Sport bike.

But I do ride my bike hard, and here in the Dominican Republic we don't have highways like on Germany, they are pretty good but you will find your bumps and holes on the road going at 80mph! and also crossing a mountain with 30kms of twists and turns is my favorite ride to go to a beach on the north cost.

I haven't actually tried out a sport bike to really know what a better suspension will feel like, but is something I would like to have because I know it will be a better ride with it. I've change the back suspension to Works, change the carb, camshaft, ignition, coil, brakes and other things (so it's by far not a STOCK bike), and I the front suspension mod will happend... Just that I need to decide if it will just be Ricor Intimidators, springs and oil, or the hole deal with a cartridge adjustable system.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you riding with the stock suspension? I switched over to Ohlins on the back and it takes the ride to a whole different level. It does not "magnify it's deficiencies" as you stated.

It does not handle like a sport bike, but it does ride way better than stock.

The original question was about sport bike suspension which to me implies trying to make a Harley handle like a sport bike. Anyone with a shred of honesty knows that the Harley chassis can best be described as archaic, so throwing modern suspension at it will only magnify it deficiencies.

You can put lipstick on a pig.....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I am. It's your prerogative if you want to spend that kind of cash on your bike but if I want top quality suspension it surely wont be wasted on my Dyna, I'll buy another sport bike for that. JMO.

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Are you riding with the stock suspension? I switched over to Ohlins on the back and it takes the ride to a whole different level. It does not "magnify it's deficiencies" as you stated.

It does not handle like a sport bike, but it does ride way better than stock.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Yes I am. It's your prerogative if you want to spend that kind of cash on your bike but if I want top quality suspension it surely wont be wasted on my Dyna, I'll buy another sport bike for that. JMO.
You keep repeating that, but you ain't hearing that better suspension makes for better Harleys!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Actually the money you spent powder coating your front end than the great handling apes and that state of the art front forks leaves us all breathless.

When talking about wasting money I have to admit you are very good at it. I would never wish to ride that type of bike because it yells: "I know nothing about riding" but "I am looking to star in the chopper show and buy the latest tattoo's to impress all".

Do you get my point? To each his own. I would not rate your bike because it is not mine, it is yours. I do not mean any of the aforementioned words as I would like to show what it would be like on the other side of the point of view. It is your bike and my opinion on what bike you should ride that I keep to myself.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-01-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Dominican Republic? Those roads would be huge fun...I first rode an FXDXT in St Marten; decent handling and that Harley torque are a great way to do Carribean "highways". I actually wouldn't want a sport bike for long there; the riding position is too cramped and they have no bottom end torque...none. The ride ain't exactly "plush" either.....
Are you on a Wide Glide or an FLH? You did say 41mm forks...they are not held in the trees very well...I've used Progressive internals in my 39mm front forks on my 100hp Sportster; worked fine except there's no external adjustment; you set 'em and put 'em in.....

Attached Thumbnails sportbike suspension on a Harley-wet-t.jpg  
Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well here and St Martin are two very different "Caribbean highways" jeje. I live in the capital, Santo Domingo, and I have 200-300 kms of 2-3 lane to each side of highways to get to the east, south and north tips of the island. Most of it is good, but you always have to be on the lookout for a new hole that wasn't there the last time you passed. Also some good mountain and hills that give you good rides too!

I have a FXDWG and yesterday I got a fork brace that I won't have any time to test it out this weekend but will do the next!

PS:
Nice Dyna!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM
aa8wlssb
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was trying to open the 3 jpg photo's from GED533 and I get a message that I am not allowed to open them? What am I doing wrong? I am really interested in the aluminum swingarm mentioned. Thanks in advance, Sam near Detroit.

Quick Reply: sportbike suspension on a Harley