Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportbike suspension on a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
Who has put the guts or the whole sportbike suspension on a Harley? I wouldn't like to change all front, just the tubes or the inside of them.
Lets go back a step! If you want sport bike quality forks, to improve ride and handling, there are not many options available to you and none of them are cheap! You may be able to marry a set of forks and front wheel to your bike, which will probably need a set of suitable springs. I am sure it can be done, with a little effort. But sport bikes hit things and I suspect the forks and front wheels are in demand from sport bike owners!

Howard at Motorcycle Metal is probably the best qualified man on the planet to advise and supply new stuff to fit your Harley.

The problem is besides they are quite expensive... they are not in your every day buy ir now list.................. and I would like to get a quick fix for my 41mm tubes!
Now you tell us you want a quick fix. So what are you looking for! What do you want to ride away on when this is done? Give us more to work with.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an XR1200 and am looking at buying one of those front ends and grafting it to my Dyna, wheel and all. Maybe a set of the Motorcycle Metal yokes.
I already have a set of Ohlins adjustable shocks set at 13.2" center to center. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

Last edited by Dynamic; 06-28-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

GSXR forks are 49mm... some new springs, emulators, heavyier oil... i would say it would rock!
No question howard is by far the man though for bike suspension! just awesome what he does!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dynamic
I have an XR1200 and am looking at buying one of those front ends and grafting it to my Dyna, wheel and all. Maybe a set of the Motorcycle Metal yokes.
I already have a set of Ohlins adjustable shocks set at 13.2" center to center. Pricey, but definitely worth it.
Ohlins are a great choice, I have a set from Motorcycle Metal on my Glide. XR forks sounds a good idea. Getting a set secondhand will be a challenge! How do they compare in length with your Dyna? I have an FXDXT which has adjustable forks, so they could be an alternative. I dread to think how much XR forks would cost new!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'07 or '08 Screaming Eagle Dyna had inverted fork front suspension and was beautiful as well as functional.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the OP was asking about a sportbike suspension, checkout this link:
http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.ph...=1:latest-news

This is what I've been talking to Howard about doing.

Who has put the guts or the whole sportbike suspension on a Harley? I wouldn't like to change all front, just the tubes or the inside of them.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone knows if Progressive will make this kit for Dynas http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ube/index.html ??? or any other company has a similar product?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Anyone knows if Progressive will make this kit for Dynas http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ube/index.html ??? or any other company has a similar product?
Traxxion make cartridges, also Motorcycle Metal, but Howard who is MM, already mentioned above, is working on an Ohlin fork cartridge. He already builds custom Ohlins shocks, so some of us are looking forward to him becoming a one-stop-shop for high quality suspension for both ends!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any idea on the price range ill be on that?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default 30 mm

I am making a Video this weekend (raw) of a girl who will show you all how to re-build your forks (all HD by making some common sense allowances) and at the same time install this cartridge system into a 49 mm bike. Since Geico Insurance took all of the available caveman, I took the next best thing I could get.

She will show you how to re-valve the cartridges and change spring rates on the kitchen table. No spring compressor is needed but simple specialized tools can be made or purchased.

Do not confuse this system with anything else out there. There is no comparison with anything on the market currently. This unit is exactly the same used (with changes to make it work in your bike) on the track and is currently winning. There is no difference between the track and the street in terms of ability to let the suspension/tire move up and down to keep constant contact with the road. Lose traction, loose the race. That is the short version as there is way more to it.

For street: the bike is set up more compliant to absorb road irregularities when desired. In January the forks and some model Ohlins shocks can be retrofitted with servo like mechanisms branded "Mechatronic" system. This is an electronically controlled remote system that can be accessed from: Dashboard/handlebars, (race only) from the pits, GPS, and from an onboard camera for visual recognition. The latter application are used in conjunction with each other to pinpoint within inches where you are on the track and the suspension is than adjusted for that condition. This system is currently available on Ducatti's.

I plan on having a complete kit ready today. This is for changing over (the Dyna I own) 2005 and below Dynas to 49 mm, dual brakes, and 30 mm cartridges using the stock 05 fender. The other bikes with the exception of the 49 mm wideglide Dyna has already been completed. I do not have one of those bike to test this unit on so hence the delay. I personally test everything I design prior to release. When that is finished this weekend I will than offer it up for purchase.

Last edited by FastHarley; 06-30-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: sportbike suspension on a Harley