Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Bolt sheared again !

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Shock Bolt sheared again !

I was riding today i noticed my bike was riding different so i pulled over and discovered my top shock bolt snapped off and i lost the spacer cup that goes for $35.00 - $40.00 ,this is the second time it happed within months ! last time it ruined my Progressive shocks this time they are okay , i went with the Harley stock bolts last time which must be made in japan , my friend says he thinks they are grade 5 , what would be a better bolt ?

Thanks !

Wonka

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

grade 8. Pull the other one and bring with you to the hardware store. Match and go.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard do you ride?

Condition of the roads in your area?

Are you using used bolts?

Are you using a torque wrench?

What grade bolt came OEM?

Do your new shocks require longer bolts then original shocks?
Longer bolt will break easier then a short one.

Only thing to do is go to one higher grade bolt.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by 32vld
How hard do you ride?

Condition of the roads in your area?

Are you using used bolts?

Are you using a torque wrench?

What grade bolt came OEM?

Do your new shocks require longer bolts then original shocks?
Longer bolt will break easier then a short one.

Only thing to do is go to one higher grade bolt.
Well today we were on some bumpy back roads climbing steep hills and i thought i heard something that's where it must have happed so i will never go on that route again , when i replaced them before ( both ) they were ordered from Harley the bolt size is 1/2 -13x4 , last time we put loc tight and torqued them to factory specs , i guess i will go with an 8 grade i can't to anything till i order the spacer cup from the dealer tomorrow ...

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 06-26-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
Well today we were on some bumpy back roads climbing steep hills ...
Ummm... It's not a dirt bike,

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Ummm... It's not a dirt bike,

These were old country roads up and down and all around , next time i must take care and go very slow ....

Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the same bolt that snapped before, or the one on the other side? Did you replace both bolts when the first one snapped?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Is this the same bolt that snapped before, or the one on the other side? Did you replace both bolts when the first one snapped?

No it was the other side last time and yes i replace BOTH bolts ..... I'm remembering now when we replaced my tires last week my buddy had the wrench on that bolt and it was flexing ( loc tight ) and he could not break it free so he had to unloosen the bottom bolt , I'm pretty sure that's what cause it , dam loc tight , i hope we can drill the rest of it out ..... I'm still going to go with grade 8 anyway .....

Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
I was riding today i noticed my bike was riding different so i pulled over and discovered my top shock bolt snapped off and i lost the spacer cup that goes for $35.00 - $40.00 ,this is the second time it happed within months ! last time it ruined my Progressive shocks this time they are okay , i went with the Harley stock bolts last time which must be made in japan , my friend says he thinks they are grade 5 , what would be a better bolt ?

Thanks !

Wonka
As you were told before, it is not the bolts but the shocks that are fracturing the bolt. A great shock does not have the shock of the road transfigured through the shock absorber into the frame. Jay Risk (the post you posted on in the beginning) has never experienced this problem again. Just think of the jarring your body takes when you hit every little bump! No matter what grade of bolt you use outside of increasing the diameter significantly and supporting the load, you will continue to hurt and also snap the stud. Just think about it, no jarring with great shocks.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by FastHarley
As you were told before, it is not the bolts but the shocks that are fracturing the bolt. A great shock does not have the shock of the road transfigured through the shock absorber into the frame. Jay Risk (the post you posted on in the beginning) has never experienced this problem again. Just think of the jarring your body takes when you hit every little bump! No matter what grade of bolt you use outside of increasing the diameter significantly and supporting the load, you will continue to hurt and also snap the stud. Just think about it, no jarring with great shocks.

Makes sense in what your saying , if it happens one more time than i'm going back to my stock Harley ones because i never had a problem with stock ones on any of my 6 Harley's and the ride was fine i just like the look of the lowered shock 11" 412's .. , if i ever win the lottery i will buy yours ...

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 06-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Shock Bolt sheared again !