Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel rest - stirrup review

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Glydiator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel rest - stirrup review

Ok... below are 4 different heel rests.
2 flip out style, and 2 rigid style.

I have done quite a bit of research here and abroad, and from what I gather, they are all pretty nice, but have some drawbacks.

They are:
A. Kuryakyn Flamin switchblades - tend to come loose alot unless you use loctite and reports of scraping to some degree. Approx. $140 average cost.

B. Harley Heel Rest kit - scraping... unless you reverse the left and right, which helps. P/N 50227-01 Approx. $101 at Zanotti and approx. $24 for the heel rest pegs.

C. The 'off brand' of the Kuryakyn ISO pegs with heel rests- haven't heard too much negative about these. Approx. $45 at JCWhitney.com

D. The Harley Heel Raiser foot peg - haven't heard of, or seen any of these on any bikes yet. P/N 50178-09 Approx. $149 at Zanotti.

Now... I've narrowed my choices down to these listed here, so I'm really not interested in BootDr's, floor boards, or mid controls, etc.

I just wanted some real experience input from any of you regarding the items listed as they are what I am looking at to rest my feet on long trips from just the pegs.

I know the Kuryakyn ISO with stirrup is comparable to the offbrand so if you would like to comment on that as such, please do so.

1. What do you have or have you had in the past?
2. What do you like about the ones you have or had.
3. What do you dislike about any you have/had.

thanks for any input, and if you have any you are looking to sell, pm me.

ride safe

Attached Thumbnails Heel rest - stirrup review-flamin-switchblade.jpg   Heel rest - stirrup review-harley-heel-rest-kit.jpg   Heel rest - stirrup review-aftermarket-stirrup.jpg   Heel rest - stirrup review-heel-raiser.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the HD's (B) immediately after my IronButt ride. Like literally the next day. The ride back was heaven as opposed to the hell my legs went through on the first leg of my trip. That's how much difference in comfort the stirrups made.

As far as scraping... first I think reversing the stirrups would make them utterly useless. But moreover there isn't much on the lower edge of my bike that I haven't scraped. That includes exhaust, primary case...etc.

You can change the angle that the stirrup hangs from the bike if you find that it's scraping too much... but honestly... it only happens once in awhile and you can't see the damage so I really don't think it's a show stopper.

If that's the only complaint you've heard that's pretty good. I can only recommend the HD's over the others because I haven't tried the others. But if it were me, I'd definitely stay away from A, and D. I'd want something rigid mount with no moving parts to fail. Additionally, I can't see myself ever wanting to tuck the stirrup back up in to the peg. I always use the extra foot room - always.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
cmonster
Tourer

i have had the offbrand set on two different bikes over a 3 year period-chrome is still good and all in all holding up real well,the only neg. is the heel pads on mine were just glued on and eventually fell off,the kury replacement pads are available and are a direct fit !

Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
ryanlberg
Tourer

i had the Kuryakyn ISO pegs with heel rests they are sweet.. side note i have them up for sale. now i have mini floorboards to make up for my short legs.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kuryakyns that I picked up for 1/3 the price off ebay. The guy had sold the bike, but never installed them. You do have to get a longer bolt than the pegs come with with the wide HD pegs like the bar/shield. That was really a PITA.

I'm not sure if I like them or not. I don't think the angle of my legs are right yet. The stirup angle doesn't seem to help that much. I think I need shorter or longer legs. They don't hurt anything.

When they are flat or shallow angle, it's almost like a floorboard.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
ASeg
Stage IV

I have ridden with the C and D configuration. I didn't like the C when cornering, they scraped a lot. I am currently running the Heel Raisers and like them pretty well. The only drawback is that shifting with the rest extended is a little weird cuz the heels will move a bit. Oh - and on my ride they are ugly, but not as bad as stock.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kury double wide pegs and the stirups. (http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/15/IMID/598) Kind of like mini boards. Most of my foot sits flat on the peg.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of these kurys i got off Ebay for a fraction of the cost, love them, then i added some heel hooks i found that fit them as well.

the only thing about these pegs you will have to do is, the heel rest isadjustible by taking the peg off, loosening the big nut on the inside, turn the heel rest up or down and then tighten the nut...you have to make sure that nut is good and tight, then when you put peg back on and put that bolt in, loctite it since it acts to keep the inner nut from backingout and the heel rest going loose on you. i have had no trouble since i done this.

Attached Thumbnails Heel rest - stirrup review-aftermarket-20stirrup.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the Harley (D) heelrests and was very disappointed in them. Mine turned out to be defective so I was able to get a refund and then I bought mini floorboards. I would tell you the Kuryakyn is probably your best bet if you want heelrests. I have been pleased with the mini floorboards.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Kury Liberator pegs + stirrups. Awesome! The little rings on the side, which help guide your foot placement, are the best. You actually get two heel positions. On one the rings and a lower on on the stirrups itself.

I don't know how I rode without them.

Quick Reply: Heel rest - stirrup review