Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!

Bought a 14" tinted Wind Vest shield from another forum member last week (Thanks Jack) and put it on over the weekend. I installed/bolted it directly on the top of the triple trees like I saw in an earlier post by Robottom. It's a nice clean setup and I'm happy with how it looks. When I took it out for a spin I was pleasantly surprised. It was amazing actually. It took all the wind pressure off my chest, shoulders, and most of my face (Duh, maybe that's why it's called a Wind VEST!). Anyway, the air seemed to be hitting me just above my forehead. If I ducked my head a couple of inches it was perfect. I'm going to move the shield UP an inch or so to the highest adjustment. That should just about be the sweet spot.

BTW: I'm not a big windshield lover, but wanted something small and quickly removable for the longer rides and I think this is gonna fit the bill nicely. See what you think...

Attached Thumbnails FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!-windvest-3-.jpg   FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!-windvest-5-.jpg   FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!-windvest-6-.jpg   FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!-windvest-10-.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Eric. Yeah, I just did the same thing-bought a 14" tinted windvest from another forum member and so far it seems to help a whole bunch-taking the pressure off my chest at 65+mph. Mine's already a little higher than yours and I think the head buffeting is about the same as without the shield.

Last edited by fhansen; 06-21-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
iachia
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm looking into a windvest for my fat bob too. Can you please tell me how tall are you so I can make up my mind on wich shield to get (14" ore 16")?
Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iachia
Hi guys, I'm looking into a windvest for my fat bob too. Can you please tell me how tall are you so I can make up my mind on wich shield to get (14" ore 16")?
Thanks!
I'm 5' 11 and have a Lepera Silhouette seat which sits you lower than the stock seat. Also, the overall height will depend on what method you use to mount the shield. My understanding is that if you install it directly on the trees (like I did) it will sit lower than if you mount it on the risers.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Eric; I'm glad you like the shield, I just wish it had worked for me. With my National shield and Jack's Flaps, I haven't had my shield off since I found the combo that stops all the buffeting at any speed. Enjoy the shield.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
manitobabob
Intermediate

Your success with the windvest (or any other shield) will depend on how tall you normally sit in the saddle. If it is not high enough you will experience head buffeting. The 14" will be ok if the bridge of your nose is about 16" above the headlight. I am quite tall and ended up buying a custom 18" 10-1655 with 2" risers on my 08 Street Bob for a height of over 22" above the headlight. No more buffeting and I can still easily see over the shield.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Mine works well...still some buffeting on the head with helmet on...but does keep the majority of wind off my chest.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Splandman
Tourer

Love your bike. Makes me wish I had bought that color. There was one sitting at another dealer in town same time I bought mine.

The Wind Vest looks pretty good to me. I'm not a big windshield fan but would be nice on long rides. How easy is it to install and remove?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Splandman
Love your bike. Makes me wish I had bought that color. There was one sitting at another dealer in town same time I bought mine.

The Wind Vest looks pretty good to me. I'm not a big windshield fan but would be nice on long rides. How easy is it to install and remove?

Thanks! The shield is very easy to put on and off. It's just two 1/4-20 allen head bolts and only takes 5 mins max.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Well of course I'm gonna like it, great job, looks excellent.

Glad you liked the idea, and that it worked out for you.
Thanks for the mention, Cool.

Quick Reply: FatBob with a Wind Vest - Pics!