Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyno Results

I will get mine in just a few min and will post what I got.
Funny, I have worked on a buddys drag car on the strip, in the shop and on the dyno and with cooler air and lower alt. we get alot more HP, then on a hotter day in the higher alt. This is because as the air gets colder the air molecules get closer together and as the bike has some air at a set rate it will intake, the colder air means more air molecules (sp?) so you can burn more fuel which means more HP. Think of a blower. It is forceing more air into the motor, air being more air molecules and thus more fuel which produces more HP. What really sucks is when you go to a higher elevation and the air temp is warm. Talk about having to lean out the motor in the drag car. The car has done 7.02 in the quarter in a low elevation with cool air, yet wont get anywhere near 7.40 or so in higher elv. What I do not understand though is the very large variance in hp from one dynoed bike to another, that does not seem right. I am no one who is knows much about it but that seems like alot. 50hp in the drag car on the dyno is alot and it has 6 more cyl. and over 550 cubic inches more, so maybe it is just me but something sounds incorrect.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Well I got the results back, not happy.
Here is what I am dealing with to start off.
The Stealer I go to does not like Power Commanders at all and they tell you that. But they are about 2 miles from home, other stealer is about 100miles but they like power commanders.
So I go to the Stealer close by. I have the PCIII, V&H short shots staggered and S/E stage 1 A/C kit, all on 06 Street Bob with the PCIII having the M811-04 download in it with the "low" positon button on the unit down one level. I dropped it one level because at low RPM's the bike would vibrate bad, to the point of making your legs go to sleep. By dropping it one level it mellowed this out alot.
Anyways to the report.

Before:Max HP: 65 Max Torque: 70.0 Avg. Air/Fuel mix: Starts at just below 12.0, at 3200rpm goes up to almost 13.0
After: Max HP: 67.7 Max Torque: 73.0 Avg. Air/Fuel mix: Starts at just about 12.5, at 3200rpm goes up to jsut over 13.0

Now what is wierd is that in the after report the HP is real bouncey, I mean from 3000 to 3450 is drops 5ftlbs, then goes up by 10ftlbs at 3800 then at 4000 it falls 10ftlbs at 4250 then rises 10ftlbs at 4400. It looks like a dam roller coaster ride. The before was nothing like this. So to say the least I am not happy with this at all. I truely believe that they do not know what they are doing. So I am going to save out the map, reload the 811-04 and lower the low by one again and then take it 100 miles to the other shop and have them try it.
Of course when I picked up the bike, they showed me a softtail that just got dynoed and had a flat A/F mix and the HP and Torque curves were consistant, nothing like the roller coaster i got, and told me that this is what I can have if I get the SERT from them. I believe that the SERT is a good product but I also know that the PC is also, at least when you have compantent people working on it.

Let me know what you think of this, I am eager to hear what you all think.
Thanks.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Stanger
Road Master

One other question here. If I am not mistaken, the best air/fuel ratio is 13.2. if you are lower than that you are running lean and above that you are running rich, correct?

Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:29 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Other way around,factory tunes to 14.2,edge of being too lean.13.0,richer. Air to fuel,not fuel to air. Sounds like you got a tuner familiar with SERT,but not PCIII,or dealer wants to sell you a SERT.

Is the bike runnning the way you want it to,more power,better acceleration,less surging and popping on deceleration,overall better performance. If so, don't worry about the numbers.It's possible that you have already done a good tuning job your self,but more likely,you need another tuner and dyno. Based on what you've posted,I'd try another tuner. Keep in mind the earlier post.You're running short pipes,right? My understanding is that the short pipes make for a more difficult tuning job.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 AM
tdshepard
Unsubscribed From Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stanger, if you go to the Powercommander website they list all the dynos in your area. The PC III should be set at 13.2 AF for power and higher for a steady cruise. Stay away from dealers and find an independent Dyno from the list.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Thanks guys. I will find a new tuner. I will post the results of that one then.
Again, Thanks.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Well I sent Dynojet a copy of my Dyno run and the response from them was interesting. Here is what they said:
The reason for the graph being like a roller coaster is that they Dyno's PRM pickup is no good and is malfuncting. He also said that my A/F ratio was almost identical in the before and after and if done at W/O where is should be the operater should have been able to correct this with the PCIII. So he also suggested as some of you have to get a new tuner who knows what they are doing. This is fine and all but dam I just paid $160.00 to find out that they do not know what they are doing and that their equipment is bad. You would think that they would know this. I am just thinking of how many other people are having this same problem or results. So I will be making a stop by there today and have a chat with them about this pathetic result. Just wanted to let everyone know to be careful about who does your dyno, make sure they know what they are doing. Sad to say that a shop does not have people who know what they are doing and people paying them for work to be done correctly and they cover it up like this. Ya, I am just a bit P/Oed at this point.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I just had my dyno completed today. The numbers are low, but it was hot as you know where and humidity is around 97. As you will see in the pic, the graph numbers on the right representing tq are way off and the RPMs represent the wheel on the dyno itself, so they are off as well. I, with the help of my engineer friend, did a few calculations to get this figured out. Basically the tq peak is somewhere just over 74 and the hp is 70.6.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1000/848209AA823D4A03BDB8A3F5070AEFDD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2006, 01:00 AM
stc13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so to me this is key ...your happy with bike.. after pc 3 and dyno tune on my bike its a diffrent animal
it criuses along so much better at lower speeds and responds when needed

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

I'm happy,bike runs cool and fast, gas mileage is still pretty good,about 35 around town in constant stop and go traffic at speeds of 45 or less.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dynamite

ORIGINAL: Dynamite

I just had my dyno completed today.
The numbers are low, but it was hot as you know where and humidity is around 97.
As you will see in the pic, the graph numbers on the right representing tq are way off
and the RPMs represent the wheel on the dyno itself, so they are off as well.

I, with the help of my engineer friend,
did a few calculations to get this figured out.

Basically the tq peak is somewhere just over 74 and the hp is 70.6.
Huhnh???

Quick Reply: Dyno Results