Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter prob

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right guys - thanks for all your suggestions.

Bike is now sorted and and starting ok again, the problem was as I suspected the starter relay. For reference in case anybody else has a similar thing happen - all the symptoms are in my first post - the part number of the relay is: 31522-00C. It's the little grey plug in relay situated behind the fuse block mounting plate on the L/H side below the seat.

I had metered it out and it was showing ok, but I noticed when trying to start the bike that the clicking sound was coming from the relay and not the solenoid which suggested to me that the relay itself was actually faulty. Although it tested out ok on the bench it was collapsing under load in-situ. New Relay now fitted and it's all back to normal again. Just thought I'd post the info up to save anybody going "all around the houses" to fix a simple problem. As I always say - try the easy stuff first

Derv

Last edited by Derv; 06-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it figured out and back on the road!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derv
Right guys - thanks for all your suggestions.

Bike is now sorted and and starting ok again, the problem was as I suspected the starter relay. For reference in case anybody else has a similar thing happen - all the symptoms are in my first post - the part number of the relay is: 31522-00C. It's the little grey plug in relay situated behind the fuse block mounting plate on the L/H side below the seat.

I had metered it out and it was showing ok, but I noticed when trying to start the bike that the clicking sound was coming from the relay and not the solenoid which suggested to me that the relay itself was actually faulty. Although it tested out ok on the bench it was collapsing under load in-situ. New Relay now fitted and it's all back to normal again. Just thought I'd post the info up to save anybody going "all around the houses" to fix a simple problem. As I always say - try the easy stuff first

Derv
Awesome Drev! Thanks for the update.