Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 dyna restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Rustybeater91
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 dyna restart

I have a 09 dyna street bob with about 6,000 miles on it. Ever since I have bought it brand new from the dealer every now and then when the bike is warmed up and I stop for gas or something then go to restart it the motor just turns over but will not start all i have to do is let go of the button then hit it again then it will start right up. It just pisses me off that when i buy something brand new that I am having trouble with it. I have taken it to the dealer twice the first time they said it was the start clutch and replaced it but it did not help the problem it was still there and the 2nd time I took it the guy told me that they do that. I was pretty shocked when he told me that and repeated it, that the 09 have a problem starting? He said they would look at it and the best thing that they could come up with is that the battery cables were not tight enough so they tightned them. This was not the problem either and I argued it with them but they would not do anything else. I am wondering if any one else is having this trouble.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you clarify - does the engine turn over and not start or does the starter spin and not engage the engine? When you first turn the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pump priming the system?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Rustybeater91
Novice

Sorry, Yea the engine turns over but will not start and some times it will do a little cough and blow smoke out the intake. Yea I turn it to on and I hear the fuel pump and wait for the engine light to go out then hit start.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Man, that would be irritating. When any thing isn't working properly intermittently that makes it so hard to get it fixed. My 10 FXDC has never done that. Wish I could help you out. Good luck and keep us up-dated.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so the bit about starter gear was bs. If that were the problem it either wouldn't turn over or it would turn over a few times then the gear (bendix in cage terminology) would disengage and the starter just spin. BTDT with my shovel.

The little cough and smoke points to either an ignition (timing) or fuel issue, imo. Could be vapor lock I suppose since you say it happens when the bike is warm. I'd take it to another dealer if possible or back to the original dealer and insist on a better investigation. "They all do that" is the age-old excuse of techs who don't know what they're doing (in most cases). If you don't get some real action I'd contact HD's customer service line.

Hopefully HDTech will chime in here with some of his experience.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Starter

When it is engine is hot, don't wait till the engine light goes out before starting it. Just hit the run button and crank it.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyna rider
When it is engine is hot, don't wait till the engine light goes out before starting it. Just hit the run button and crank it.
Mine started doing that after the new pipes and Powercommander. If I don't wait for the fuel pump to prime, it starts right up.
If I wait for the engine light, it doesn't quite want to start.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Rustybeater91
Novice

mine is still stock I have new pipes but did not want to put them on and tell me that the warrenty is voided or anything. I have heard that not letting the fuel pump prime but I dont know if that may mess something up. When you buy the bike they give you some speach about making sure the light is off or it is going to mess the computer up and pop codes or something.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

This may sound wrong but do not tighten the gas cap too tight. Just a couple clicks is all it takes.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:59 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
+1, my 07' does the same thing hot. I never even let the light go out cold and it starts right up.
CB

Quick Reply: 09 dyna restart