Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDB Turn signal relocation? DIY or pay delaer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FXDB Turn signal relocation? DIY or pay delaer

I would like to move the turn signals to the lower trees. I was quoted 1 hour labor by the dealer and my local dealers range from $72 to $85, and they all offer Drive in / Drive out service with appointment.

Having never done this before I would like to know if is is easily do able or would it be better to pay the dealer?

Harley instructions do not look that bad and with the tank lift I figure the plugs may not be to hard to reach.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM

It's pretty easy to do it yourself.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you do the tank lift? Sounds like you're interested in learning to wrench some on your bike. The t/s relo is perfect confidence-booster. Look at it this way - worst case, you mess it up. You can still ride the bike to the dealer and have them straighten it out. Not like you're swapping cams or something.

Go for it and good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Hickey
Road Captain

its very easy to do yourself.

but it also seems like your not getting ripped off by the dealer, should only be an hour or so.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM
HDTech74
Tourer

it's easy. the hardest parts are un-pinning the connectors
and getting the rubber frame grommets back in.
You will need a long 1/4" allen socket to tighten the signals up though.
An hour of labor at your dealer seems pretty fair.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Did you do the tank lift? Sounds like you're interested in learning to wrench some on your bike. The t/s relo is perfect confidence-booster. Look at it this way - worst case, you mess it up. You can still ride the bike to the dealer and have them straighten it out. Not like you're swapping cams or something.

Go for it and good luck!
Agreed, if it works out, you have saved money and learned some stuff, if not, your not gonna be out any more money then before.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM
h2o
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDTech74
it's easy. the hardest parts are un-pinning the connectors
and getting the rubber frame grommets back in.
You will need a long 1/4" allen socket to tighten the signals up though.
An hour of labor at your dealer seems pretty fair.
+1 definitely a DIY project but un pinning the connectors is a biatch. I know some people like to flame for this but I just cut and soldered.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
nomad20012
Intermediate

I cut and soldered too. The only people I think flame for this are the ones who couldn't be bothered to solder. But, I also cut and soldered the entire front end as I did the internal wiring for the bars. Just make sure you have good connections, good solder joints and good shrink wrap. Then tucked it all back into the stock loom. Done deal.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM
myillearth
Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I have decided to do this myself. Seeing how easily the access to the wiring is (now that I have done the tank lift) don't think it will be that bad.

Not to thrilled with the HD relocation kit, just seems to stick out a little further than I want. I have to look around a little.

any suggestions.

ps installed flush mount fuel guage and fill cap today. 20 minute job.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myillearth
Thanks for the input. I have decided to do this myself. Seeing how easily the access to the wiring is (now that I have done the tank lift) don't think it will be that bad.
Not to thrilled with the HD relocation kit, just seems to stick out a little further than I want. I have to look around a little.
any suggestions.
ps installed flush mount fuel guage and fill cap today. 20 minute job.
Congrats on the fuel gauge and cap!

I'm not familiar with the HD relo kit for the fronts - does it re-use the stock wing-shaped standoffs? If so, HD offers a shorter version of those. I'm getting ready to move my rear t/s to the license plate bracket using the Easy Bracket/Great Bike Gear kit. Had the same issue - stock standoffs would stick them out too far. So I bought the shorties from Zanotti and hope to get it done this weekend.

Probably could have found them at a swap meet for 2-5$ but I think the Zanotti price was only $12 and it saves me all the hunting.

Quick Reply: FXDB Turn signal relocation? DIY or pay delaer