Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking To Make A Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010 | 11:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Don't be thrown off, the things can be ridden on iron butt worthy (if not actual iron butt) rides ... I think you're in the right ball park here, just kick some tires and find a dealer who'll let you do a test ride ...

I would recommend a Wide Glide or Super Glide Custom or Street Bob in a heartbeat ....

I think you could find yourself very happy with a Dyna ....

R/
'Chop

p.s. where'd you get "high speed instability" ...? I was just out ripping on the freeway at 80-90 not 30 minutes ago ....

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 06-11-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2010 | 11:35 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Although HD discontinued the Low Riders....... I also run the interstate at 80+ and found NO instability.....and that's running with a QD Windshield as well.
Hubby has a FLSTC and loves his...... I'm at home with my Low Rider. Did get the sundowner seat for long hauls. I sure do wish I had your inseam. I'm 10" shorter than you in that dept. Wish I could reach my highway bars once in awhile.

Old 06-12-2010 | 09:21 AM
plumbertom
Tourer

Originally Posted by american classic
Thanks for your help. This high speed instability thing has me a little leery to say the least. Dang...thought I had found the model of choice, but now I'm a little confused!
Don't let that deter you.
It's a minor annoyance that many people never notice. Only shows up at upper freeway speeds or higher while in sweeping bends in the highway.
It usually manifests as a slight wobble in the rear and the need to continuously adjust your line. If your not an aggressive rider you may never experience it.
It's also an easy fix.
The Dyna is well worth making the correction to HD's screw up. Once it's done it's the best.

Old 06-12-2010 | 10:14 AM
uneasy_rider
Advanced

I am not sure what years were subject to the high speed instability, but my 07 SG shows no signs of it. I regularly travel up to 80mph on the interstate with no issues. I am 6'3" 270 and with +3 forwards, I think it is the best fitting bike I have ever owned. I second changing the bars, they are not too bad, but I am in the process of doing that this weekend.

Old 06-12-2010 | 03:13 PM
bord3r
Cruiser

highway instability my a$$ i rode from houston to austin and back yesterday at 85 mph to 100 and i never felt a thing and it was windy as hell... some people man lol

Old 06-12-2010 | 10:43 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

All I can speak to is my experience. I first noticed it not long after I got my FXD.
I changed out the Shocks and that helped some then I shimmed the front mount and that helped some but the problem persisted.
After I installed the Sputh stabilizers it went away.
So what would you call it?
Maybe I just expect more out of my ride than you do, or maybe I'm better able to recognize it than you having rode a solid mount FLH for years. But I'm far from the only person that has had that problem.

Old 06-12-2010 | 10:54 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

love my dyna... buy one...

Old 06-12-2010 | 11:15 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

You want solid and stable with great handling? Try a Fat Bob. You cant beat it.

Old 06-12-2010 | 11:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I'm 6'3" and 235. I just got this 010 SG and have no problem with the seat, mid controls or any thing else for the past 1,200 miles.

My 6'5" 260 lb son has put 24K since getting his 06 Dyna Street Bob. Last year he went the 9K round trip to the Arctic Circle and back to Chicago on it without any comfort issues. He did add highway pegs but kept the mid controls and the original solo seat.

Here's of pic of him checking his brothers BMW out when we met up in Butte to head to Alaska. That's my Buell UlyssesXT on the left. I'm 70 and did the ride on it. We had two days of 860 miles.

He bolted two large ammo boxes to the fender brace and put a duffel bag across them with straps. Worked great. Don't let anyone say that you can't tour long distance on a Dyna.

Old 06-12-2010 | 11:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Tom -

I don't think you're the only one, but I think it probably does make a difference that you have a frame of reference ... as you noted previously, there are a few who will confirm your position ... (not that it makes a whit of difference to you, I expect) ....

About the only time I've 'felt it' was on a sweeping turn on I-5 as you approach Boeing Field from the South headed North ... the turn right as you pass the Tukwila exit going North for those familiar with it ...

I used to commute from Tacoma to Everett and would leave the house around 0500 in the morning ... many times in a pretty good rain ... right as you approach that area the traffic speed picks up a little and when you're taking that curve in the fast lane in bumper to bumper traffic in the rain, you are pretty focused on all factors and elements ... going around there at between 70-80 MPH, I sometimes felt like the rear end was giving just a little squirelly feel ... but I could have been mistaken as right around the point where I noticed it the pavement had a 'transition' where the lane had been widened ....

Never really felt it much any other times ... sometimes I almost think I feel it and then think ... naw ... that was nothing ... just the way a Dyna rides .... I guess maybe its just something that most riders accept and make an allowance for maybe ...? What do you say ...?

But, all that said ... I think your point is that it is a correctible fault ... most others who have posted are saying it is not enough of a fault to dissuade someone from buying and enjoying the he11 out of a Dyna for around town ... and for the longer hauls ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Looking To Make A Change?