Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS mounting/cigarette lighter adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:05 PM
HDRusty
|
Cruiser
Default GPS mounting/cigarette lighter adapter?

I am taking a trip from upstate NY to Mississippi and back and the end of next week. I am sorting everything out be the one thing I am still working on is how rig up a power source for my GPS unit. I figure I could to to radio shack and buy a cigarette lighter and just hard wire it to the battery... But there has to be a "cleaner" way to go about it right? I checked HD's website to see what they had and found noting... What do you guys have in mind?

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:23 PM
Comingapart
Cruiser

Somewhere on this site (try the $50 sticky) is a writeup on a member who installed a covered lighter plug into the rubber grommet thing on the front frame tube near the ignition.

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:27 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior

Have a battery tender? What I did was take the extra cord that comes with the tender - the one with the alligator clips - and cut off the connector end. Then I ordered a second cable from Garmin - the one used to hardwire the gps into a vehicle. (I used the one that came with it on my Electra Glide). Patched the two together and moved the battery tender cable that's permanently attached to the battery over so it terminates on the left side of the bike, right behind the quick disconnect on the fuel tank. (Cause I want the gps on the left side of the bars).

I picked up an adjustable mount designed for bicycle handlebars on eBay or overstock.com. When I use the Garmin on the FLHTC I have the permanent mount. When I want it on the Dyna I use the bike mount and zip tie the cable I fabbed up under the left side of the fuel tank and plug it into the battery tender.

Only issue is to remember to unplug when you stop or you might drain your battery. Not a problem refueling and if I stop to eat or overnight I'm not leaving the GPS on the bike to get stolen anyway.

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:35 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Check out powerlet.com

Have a great ride!

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:37 PM
HDRusty
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Have a battery tender? What I did was take the extra cord that comes with the tender - the one with the alligator clips - and cut off the connector end. Then I ordered a second cable from Garmin - the one used to hardwire the gps into a vehicle. (I used the one that came with it on my Electra Glide). Patched the two together and moved the battery tender cable that's permanently attached to the battery over so it terminates on the left side of the bike, right behind the quick disconnect on the fuel tank. (Cause I want the gps on the left side of the bars).

I picked up an adjustable mount designed for bicycle handlebars on eBay or overstock.com. When I use the Garmin on the FLHTC I have the permanent mount. When I want it on the Dyna I use the bike mount and zip tie the cable I fabbed up under the left side of the fuel tank and plug it into the battery tender.

Only issue is to remember to unplug when you stop or you might drain your battery. Not a problem refueling and if I stop to eat or overnight I'm not leaving the GPS on the bike to get stolen anyway.
I do indeed have one. Ill have to take a look at it and see if I want to splice and dice it.

Old 06-11-2010 | 04:38 PM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

Garmin has a kit for motorcycles. I was thinking about how to mount one at one time but I didn't go through with it. Check garmins site.

Old 06-11-2010 | 05:05 PM
HDRusty
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Check out powerlet.com

Have a great ride!
Do Dyna's have a spare aux cable off the OE wiring harness?

Old 06-11-2010 | 06:00 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Under the seat are two aux connectors, one has always on 12V and one has switched 12V. The always on one has the connector shell but no mating pin, but these can be purchase from HD for like $1.00. I may be able to look up the part numbers if you want to go that way. That is how I got power to by GPS about a year ago.

You may also be able to splice in or fabricate a mating pin.

Old 06-11-2010 | 07:02 PM
HDRusty
|
Cruiser

I just ordered a adapter to use with my battery tender from powerlet.com. perfect! Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-11-2010 | 07:07 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by HDRusty
I just ordered a adapter to use with my battery tender from powerlet.com. perfect! Thanks for the help guys.
Have you decided on the mount you want to use?

Quick Reply: GPS mounting/cigarette lighter adapter?