Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

infamous green harleys and bad luck ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010 | 07:57 PM
DXrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by powg
have heard this since i was a wee lad sneaking smokes and beer from community coolers.....where did this come from , how long has it been legend..any experiances with it being true..thanks guys
I've heard the same thing. My father had a green roadking for his last bike. He rode for 43 years on orange and black bikes, all of them I still have.The green roadking killed him. I ride it from time to time, maybe someday it'll kill me. I think about it everytime I get on it. It was bad luck for him.

Old 06-10-2010 | 08:58 PM
youngpappy
Advanced

I have a denim black and olive street bob
never had any kind of problem
if anything i consider it lucky

think the saying just comes from military bikes way back in the day

besides superstition its bullshit

if someone puts it in their head then yeah, they'll probably have problems

Old 06-10-2010 | 10:16 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior

I believe the unlucky green superstition actually began far before Harley met Davidson. It was also (later on) attached to cars, particularly race cars. At some point, bikers must have adopted this concept.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/cursed/green.asp

Old 06-10-2010 | 10:21 PM
twistr
Road Warrior

Heard of this superstition...don't know if it holds water

Old 06-10-2010 | 10:52 PM
HeLtErSKeLtER
Advanced

My Stepdad had a green '47 knuckle... Wrecked into a flock of sheep on a mountain pass in the '60's. Popped his eye of of its socket and nearly died, but the nun's nursed him back to health (different story, lol) His advise to me: No green bikes.

Old 06-11-2010 | 06:36 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

By these standards, we should not ride bikes that are colored ANY color because someone wrecked them or they kept breaking down or...
and come to think of it, the MOST negatives would go to BLACK bikes, because that's what MOST of them are.
Paint is paint.

Old 06-11-2010 | 06:59 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Hmm, I wonder if we were to list all the bikes that were black (most common color) that were wrecked? Might start a superstition as well about black bikes. Considering how many Kawis are out there vs how many I have seen actually crashed vs other sport bikes may dispel the myth altogether. Hey, we all partake in a dangerous, hobby/sport (or whatever we call it), so we all know the risks, regardless of bike color. The fun outweighs the risk IMO by far!

And if they made my bike in any of the older Low Rider green colors, I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Last edited by DeathProof72; 06-11-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2010 | 07:59 AM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

interesting thread...

Old 06-11-2010 | 11:45 AM
hey_wilber
4th Gear

If the green bike is bad luck, you should be able to counteract the bad luck with a "Ride Bell".
The little iron bell that hangs from a motorcycle is supposed to ward off evil spirits. These demons exist on all roadways, and when a motorcycle passes by, they grab on to it and begin chipping away at your good luck until finally you have a crash.

The tingling of the bell is said to irritate these demons and prevent them from hitching a ride on your motorcycle.

BTW, the bell only has its power when someone else buys it for you, otherwise it doesn't work at all.

Old 06-11-2010 | 01:39 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

"By these standards, we should not ride bikes that are colored ANY color because someone wrecked them or they kept breaking down or...
and come to think of it, the MOST negatives would go to BLACK bikes, because that's what MOST of them are.
Paint is paint."

Never heard of anyone wrecking a pink bike. Probably more likely to get a beat down riding one.

Last edited by nevil; 06-11-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: quoted

Quick Reply: infamous green harleys and bad luck ?