Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your Wide Glide handle in the twisties?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts
Default How does your Wide Glide handle in the twisties?

Mine seems sort of twitchy especially 2 up but I can't tell if it's the bike or me since I'm still very new to it. But I just don't recall from when I rode Harleys years ago in the mountains it being as much work as this one to get around the turns. It seems like I have to focus real hard every moment to keep it in line. Is it just my inexperience that will get better with time or is there maybe some inherent issue with the bike that I should be looking at ? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I'd look at, is make sure your rear shocks are both at the same setting.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well experience is probably the best way to make things better, but a lot of folks here (me included) have made some upgrades such as changed out the suspension, front and back, added better brakes, changed seats and/or handlebars etc. The stock set up doesn't suit everyone.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine handles wonderfully on really tight twisties. It's the long sweepers that it feels wishy-washy. Yes I have true track installed. Still feels wishy-washy.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't a Wide Glide have a 34 degree rake? It's not going to turn like the other Dynas or Touring bikes.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've added a Metzler tires, True Track, Ikon rear shocks and front springs so I get pretty decent handling. When I ride with my brother on his Sporty I'm working to keep up IF I try following his lines thru the corners. Have to set up and enter differently, likely due to the rake.
Make sure you have the shocks on the appropriate setting for you.
Tire pressure where it should be.
Swingarm and wheel bearings in good shape.

Nice bike, by the way

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Just looked at the True Track web site. Interesting. Is the rubber mounted drivetrain an issue with handling?
I have 11" Progressive shocks set to the stiffest setting. It needs that for 2 up but it's a little harsh when I'm alone. I need to raise it up and want to change back to the stock length. It drags the pipes real easy. Back tire is going to need replaced soon. New stock brake pads in front and new Dunlop front tire.
Lots of things to change and only so much money to go around these days. Guess I'll just have to be patient and prioritize.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
ToolandDieRepairman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 WG felt like it was that till I changed tires to Metzler 880's. Huge improvement from the stock dunlops.

Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a little shaky depending on the curve, but not bad. Once in a while i will feel the rear end give me a twitch but I can go low enough that my bootheels are getting pretty grooved from dragging. Have to quit that or i will keep a boot company or cobbler in business!

chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mp
Doesn't a Wide Glide have a 34 degree rake? It's not going to turn like the other Dynas or Touring bikes.
I was looking for the rake spec but it doesn't give it in the shop manual at least not that I could find.

Quick Reply: How does your Wide Glide handle in the twisties?