Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your Wide Glide handle in the twisties?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM
johnd5412
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

handles fine here

Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
I believe you are talking about those tiny adjustments to keep it tracking true in the corners right?. Also, try the next heavier weight fork oil---jack
Yes. It needs fork seals badly so I may be low there too.

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
on my 05 i have 11inch prog in back and race tech springs in front my bike sits lower than a lowrider and i agree with guy who said mitz 880 tires make a big diff, they sure do, mine handles just fine i can go as fast as i want, i am past the shoulder to the asphalt stage, i see you have ape-s on how high are they if your over your shoulders you won`t feel like you have control
Bars are 16". They are just about shoulder high maybe a little higher.

Originally Posted by schwangster
and when you lower the back end, without doing the front, you add mre rake and mess up your trail a bit, so it will handle heavier.
I don't think the front is lowered. Heavy is exactly how it feels. From what i know now from all the replies it seems I have all the wrong combination for cornering. Oh well I'll just have to work on one thing at a time till it's right as I really like the Wide Glides. Just don't see myself on an EG ( but wouldn't kick a new RK out of the garage!)

Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man if i put mine on the stiffies setting it shars the sh-- out of me feels like a hardtail, i`m 200lbs and run it as soft as it will go

Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
timmy gdawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I absolutely love the way my new glide handles ! It seems very responsive to driver input and that in-turn ,(no pun intended), gives me confidence when negotiating the twisties !!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

Do you have a fork brace? My WG feels solid through the TN twisties.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine handles dam good especially since the Pirelli Night Dragon tires were installed.Feels like your on a rail

Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Maxama
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its 38 degrees

Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory suspension is about as bottom dollar as it gets. For most it seems fine until you ride something with upgrades and you realize the full potential. The rear shocks pretty much need to be replaced, there is no improving those. The front suspension is fine if you weigh 120 lbs. For most a spring upgrade is needed. Fortunately this is fairly simple and inexpensive. Don't just go throwing heavier oil in the front forks. I've seen many people do this and it won't fix the actual problem which is a weak spring rate. Adding heavier oil just slows the suspension down, it still dives just as much but now it will not be able to respond to irregularities on the road as effectively. Once you do this you will notice a great improvement. There is still allot of play in the rear suspension since the swingarm is mounted to the rubber mounted engine but unless you push real hard you may never notice it. Then again once you try one with a system like the True Trac or similar you will realize the difference. You can see this play when the bike is on the side stand, the rear tire will appear to be off center. It is because the weight of the bike pushes it sideways. Same happens in a turn. Anyway hopefully this helps you understand and gives you a plan if you want to make improvements.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Noticed a big change going from the stock front wheel (2.15") to a new, wider wheel (3.25") and from a 90mm to a 120mm front tire. Increased my speed through the same turn by 20mph (70-75 vs. 90-95).

New front forks (e.g. Ohlins would be awesome!) would do the trick. This was done before the 180 I have on the rear and the Ohlins rear shocks I have installed and tested in the same corner. This is for a '97 FXDWG.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
Noticed a big change going from the stock front wheel (2.15") to a new, wider wheel (3.25") and from a 90mm to a 120mm front tire. Increased my speed through the same turn by 20mph (70-75 vs. 90-95).

New front forks (e.g. Ohlins would be awesome!) would do the trick. This was done before the 180 I have on the rear and the Ohlins rear shocks I have installed and tested in the same corner. This is for a '97 FXDWG.
180 rear
120 front
97 WG !
I'd like to see some pics, please

Quick Reply: How does your Wide Glide handle in the twisties?