Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions about drag pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I like shields. As noted, the drags are likely to start bluing almost immediately. Now that's cool on a lot of bikes, if that looks fits. Never bothered me on my shovel. But would look like crap on my Dyna IMO and, I suspect, on yours as well.

Think I'd hold off if I were you to see whether the 2" are gonna work. Sorry I didn't have any insight into that question before you bought but I have no clue.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't there a Kreme-type treatment to use on new exhaust pipes to help with the bluing?

I know there is an external blue-away paste/polish.

And wouldn't the pipes blue because of the mixture being off? Some jetting on your '96 should help, shouldn't it?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Pipes blue due to a lean condition. However, this "lean condition" is the programmed and normal condition these days, thanks to the EPA. So no, the mix being off will not cause the bluing. I don't know of any Kreme type treatments, but the blue-away pastes aren't all that effective, unless you use them quite often.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Pipes blue due to a lean condition. However, this "lean condition" is the programmed and normal condition these days, thanks to the EPA. So no, the mix being off will not cause the bluing. I don't know of any Kreme type treatments, but the blue-away pastes aren't all that effective, unless you use them quite often.
Bikerlaw's bike isn't affected by the EPA requirements. While I agree that lean is the primary cause of bluing, I've never heard of a really good way to prevent it, since that would require you to properly tune the AFR before putting the new pipes (which will change the AFR unless they are identical to what you're taking off). Pipes start to blue with pretty much the first time you get them up to temp.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Bikerlaw's bike isn't affected by the EPA requirements. While I agree that lean is the primary cause of bluing, I've never heard of a really good way to prevent it, since that would require you to properly tune the AFR before putting the new pipes (which will change the AFR unless they are identical to what you're taking off). Pipes start to blue with pretty much the first time you get them up to temp.
That was my point, although I don't seem to have been able to effectively get that across. thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Sixty-Sicks
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont mind the look with shields, the cheap pipes blue almost instantly, even with treatment they still blue bad......but i like the shields, not for everyone, just my own opinion.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Alrighty then. See....thats why I ask. Now I can search ebay and maybe give jireh a call back. Theres plenty of heat shields for 2 inch drags, now I know I want them. I'll pick out a set and get them ordered up first thing tomorrow. Since there's no break where the muffler starts on drags, I can probably get a cheaper set of universal chrome heat shield made for drag pipes and that should do me up for around 100 bucks total for the entire exhaust. Not bad for a cheap a$$ like me.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

heres mine

sorry wrong side please delete

Attached Thumbnails 2 questions about drag pipes.-10-09-superglide.jpg  

Last edited by the blob; 06-13-2010 at 02:00 PM.