Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxdx front end wobble 80mph+

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts
Default fxdx front end wobble 80mph+

Maybe I'm searching wrong or something but I can't find what I'm after. Friend has an 01 fxdx and at speeds over 80mph it goes into a nasty front end wobble and worsens as speeds go up to the point of near tank slappers. Tires balanced, SE fork brace installed correctly!, New head brngs and fork overhaul. Fork adjustments anywhere from full soft to full hard make no difference. The interweb has hundreds fo articles on similar stories, but no real answers. Aside from a steering stabilizer (which shouldn't be needed for everyday stability) are there some tips or tricks for this issue before he becomes a road dot.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how about the alignment of the bike. Or it is possible the tires are bad even though they balance. A wheel could be bent.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't 75 fast enough? then you wouldn't need to worry about it

Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the swingarm.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Badmonkey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loosen yer grip...let go with 1 hand..

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have a dampter to prevent suck isues... but it sounds like an allignment issue

Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
isn't 75 fast enough? then you wouldn't need to worry about it
you'll wind up a hood ornament doin 75 around here. Alignment was done both high tech (laser level) and lo-tech (flouresent bulbs) and is legit. Bike has less than 5k on motor mounts and swinger bushings. Wheel/tire combo balances out to zeros. both the prev owner and him have been chasing tails on the issue. I did find elsewhere on the innerwebs that the lowering of the rear susp can exaggerate a wobble (he has 12in shocks on it now down from the stock fxdx 13in ones) the front is stock height. Gonna try to move some parts around and see if that changes anything.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are the brakes? A warped rotor will shake also.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wobble

Lowering the front tire pressure a few pounds may help. That's what my local dealer did when I took mine in complaining of the wobble. It started wobbling at 55 and quit at 65 and started again at 90 and was worse the faster I went. It helped for a while but started again when I changed front tires and lowering the pressure on the new tire did not fix it.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default real story

Originally Posted by shiftace
Maybe I'm searching wrong or something but I can't find what I'm after. Friend has an 01 fxdx and at speeds over 80mph it goes into a nasty front end wobble and worsens as speeds go up to the point of near tank slappers. Tires balanced, SE fork brace installed correctly!, New head brngs and fork overhaul. Fork adjustments anywhere from full soft to full hard make no difference. The interweb has hundreds fo articles on similar stories, but no real answers. Aside from a steering stabilizer (which shouldn't be needed for everyday stability) are there some tips or tricks for this issue before he becomes a road dot.
I don't believe that you're providing enough/good information. You have to ask when did this begin? After which modification? Change of tires? Who changed? Who balanced? Why was the fork brace installed? Who installed new head bearings? Who overhauled the forks? Were the wheel bearings checked? How many miles? Bike been down, ever? Could the frame/forks be bent? .................................................. ...................................

Without honest answers to a lot more than these questions you could make a wild guess, but I suspect the veracity of some of this info you've been given or the competence of the mechanic. ie You are saying that everything has been checked and verified. You sure? What happened just before he noticed this problem? If all these changes were made chasing this problem, then the mechanic is a moron.

Quick Reply: fxdx front end wobble 80mph+