Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7" Headlight Mounted (fav mod yet!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7" Headlight Mounted (fav mod yet!!)

Saturday I finally got a 7" headlight mounted on my Bob. By far, my favorite mod to date. The one thing that seemed to me to always look a bit off on the whole Dyna line was the ridiculously small headlight. Even from a head on angle, it looked like there was just too much space open between the fork legs. Took me under an hour (not including the time I spent fighting with the original trim ring, but that is a whole separate thread). Headlight I bought was an after-market unit that cost me $60 on Ebay (made by DBI) + $35 to get it powder-coated in gloss black). Anyone considering a similar modification with any questions about how I found to be the easiest way to get it done, feel free to IM me (BTW, no, I didn't have to get to the wiring under the tank to do this). Well, enough of my babble, here are the pics:

Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

O MY, that does look good!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

you take pictures at some funny angles.

that looks good on there.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were you able to take the connector apart and wiggle the wire harness/grommet out of the old lamp?
Look good black.
CB

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Were you able to take the connector apart and wiggle the wire harness/grommet out of the old lamp?
Look good black.
CB
Thanks...

Yeah, wires came through easily, hardest thing was actually removing the wires from the plastic connector. Once you open it, each connector has 2 tabs that hold the metal connector inside the housing, you have to press them in at the same time with a flat object (I used the handle of a small nail file) so you can get the connector out. One thing is that the rubber gasket at the base will not allow the connectors to fit through because the hole is too small. I cut the rubber gasket with a razor the long way so that I could take it off and reuse it. The small seam I don't think will create any sealing issues, but to be safe, I wrapped the part the sticks out from the bottom of the headlight housing with a piece of black electrical tape.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 AM
mysiar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great, I'm going to have the same

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Rangerdan
Cruiser

Looks real good. I thought about the 7" but went with the bullet style. But I like It!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

Also my favorite mod... And i too used the same method to remove the grommet! No problems to date! I replaced the stock bulb (if you can call it that) with a silverstar and it was much brighter than the stock 1990's bulb.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Saturday I finally got a 7" headlight mounted on my Bob. By far, my favorite mod to date. The one thing that seemed to me to always look a bit off on the whole Dyna line was the ridiculously small headlight. Even from a head on angle, it looked like there was just too much space open between the fork legs. Took me under an hour (not including the time I spent fighting with the original trim ring, but that is a whole separate thread). Headlight I bought was an after-market unit that cost me $60 on Ebay (made by DBI) + $35 to get it powder-coated in gloss black). Anyone considering a similar modification with any questions about how I found to be the easiest way to get it done, feel free to IM me (BTW, no, I didn't have to get to the wiring under the tank to do this). Well, enough of my babble, here are the pics:

That looks great - definitely on my work in progress list. Did it come chrome?.
Thanks George

Quick Reply: 7" Headlight Mounted (fav mod yet!!)