Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help deciding :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:07 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default need some help deciding :)

alright guys... i have posted this same question in another forum. i am just looking for feed back. i want to change the exhaust, a/c and i guess a tune as well..lol i got a couple of quotes here for you...
#1 rush slip ons, stage 1 air cleaner, and stage 1 download, installed $800
#2 v&h big radious exhaust, stage 1 air cleaner and v&h fuel pak, installed $1400 bucks.
i know about the power commander, but that takes my price up another 300-400 bucks, which i dont have right now...
my question is... which should i get? i am not going to do any other performance down that road that i know of. if i do, it will be years. i gotta change some other things i(make it my style ) first. i am looking for that harley sound. the rumble.. the loudness is cool, but that harley rumble is so awesome. i also want a little bit of performance as well. any help with my selection would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance :33:

Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

case# 3... a 2-1 exhaust! Then save money and get a tts mastertune...save money and get a better air system than Harley's. IMHO the 2-1 exhaust,TTS, and good looking/performing air cleaner will be better than money on chrome doodads and other cheesy crap to " make it your own". The real way to make it your own is by doing things to it that are not out of some catalog of mass produced parts. Figure this, the most important part of the bike should be the ride. That said, make the bike perform better, handle better, and ride better to get real enjoyment out of it. It ain't like you'll suddenly get any more respect from any catalog mods to your bike. However, riding the roads with a great suspension(say Ricor shocks and intiminators) and having plenty of fun with a great tuned bike with a thunderheader or D&D fatcat and your rides will improve 100 fold. This is unless you really thing the way to your riding heart is how the bike looks sitting in your garage or some parking space. To me the bikes that look the best are the ones that have the best parts on them to make em go faster and be rode hard, not accessories that weigh it down. Take a look here at ws6 formulas bike. The most beautiful lowrider you could imagine, and his bike has very little in the way of 'Mod's' to it. Just well thought out things like internally wiring his bars, re doing the wiring to clean it up, and a beautiful fatcat on there as well.

Last edited by rounder; 06-06-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Do some shopping, V&H BR's, A/C, and a PC III or V should be around that range. Don't waste your money on the Fuel Pak. If you are going to buy a tuner DO NOT get the stage 1 download, a waste of money.
Search ebay, take your time you can find some good deals.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
money on chrome doodads and other cheesy crap to " make it your own". The real way to make it your own is by doing things to it that are not out of some catalog of mass produced parts.
What do you have on your bike that is not out of a catalog?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Rounder is right about a 2 into 1 pipe . If you like the big radius , they make a 2 into1 version . The tuner , and a/f with a pipe will be the best mods you can do . I'd say look into that first . Slipons are okay , but you will eventually want a full set . Why not save the money now , and wait to buy the pipe . Then , you'll save money in the future .

Old 06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
What do you have on your bike that is not out of a catalog?
anything I purchased out of a catalog, I don't consider making it my own. I consider things like the way I installed my speedo in the fuel gauge, my indicators, the painting and other things like mods I did to my rear fender(all true individual mods) as making it my own. The stuff I bought are just plain accessories. My point here is instead of going out and doing the things like chrome this and that, get the bike to make one happy with the way it rides first. Heck we all know the biggest mistake most anyone does is buy stuff only to take it off shortly thereafter and replace with things one really wants. So, why should one try to do it all on the cheap instead of doing some, waiting to replenish funds, then doing other things and doing it right and best the first time. Believe me off anything I have purchase for my bike, the best stuff is the upgraded suspension and performance items and not any doodads or anything else that has not made the ride better. I actually regret spending money on my wheels and wideglide front end as opposed to nailing the performance aspect first, then maybe buying things for visual appeal later. Also, had I nailed performance first, I probably would have just done things like black powdercoat on my stock wheels and left the 39mm front on there. Thus saving money and really having a bike that was simply stock with paint and powdercoated parts, and only having purchased upgrades to performance and ride.

Last edited by rounder; 06-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

anything I purchased out of a catalog, I don't consider making it my own. I consider things like the way I installed my speedo, my indicators, the painting and other things like mods I did to my rear fender(all true individual mods) as making it my own. The stuff I bought are just plain accessories. My point here is instead of going out and doing the things like chrome this and that, get the bike to make one happy with the way it rides first. Heck we all know the biggest mistake most anyone does is buy stuff only to take it off shortly thereafter and replace with things one really wants. So, why should one try to do it all on the cheap instead of doing some, waiting to replenish funds, then doing other things and doing it right and best the first time.
Well that is not the way your comment came across, not everyone has the mechanical talent to fit parts together, or the machining capability to make their own parts. I have heard to many on here and other forums, criticize and make the comment "it is not custom if you buy it". If no one else has a finished product that looks like yours it is your own, whether that is a combination of purchased parts or as in my case, parts I machined myself, making it your own is whatever you believe that to be, regardless of where or how you get the parts.
Your comment struck me as a bit snobbish and meant to belittle those that do not have whatever talent it takes do live up to your expectations..

Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Well that is not the way your comment came across, not everyone has the mechanical talent to fit parts together, or the machining capability to make their own parts. I have heard to many on here and other forums, criticize and make the comment "it is not custom if you buy it". If no one else has a finished product that looks like yours it is your own, whether that is a combination of purchased parts or as in my case, parts I machined myself, making it your own is whatever you believe that to be, regardless of where or how you get the parts.
Your comment struck me as a bit snobbish and meant to belittle those that do not have whatever talent it takes do live up to your expectations..
Well I sure am not a snob, Just look at my lawn...LOL..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I sure am not a snob, Just look at my lawn...LOL..
Oh we don't want to get into yards...I would be run out of town....lol
Ride safe...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the comments guys. i am not just about the looks. but i really dont need all the performance parts. i am riding country roads here in wv, and i rarely get over 55 or 60. i know this may sound like i am contradicting myself, but i dont like the 2-1 pipes. they are for some people and i am not one of them. the other parts i am talking about, is taking care of the rear fender, signal lights and relocating the license plate. and i most likely will have to purchase these items from a magazine or some other place because i really am not a sheet metal frabricator and cant make them myself. i really didnt post here thinking i was going to get degraded because i asked someones opinion on an exhaust system. sorry for striking a nerve cause i am not paul tuttle jr.

Quick Reply: need some help deciding :)