Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Hammering when Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 AM
cjackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Hammering when Stopping

I have a 2006 FXDI 35 with 3000 miles on it. I am getting a hammering type rattle that seems to come from the front end when I am coming to a stop. It seems to be getting worse. It is more pronounced when the front end is loaded up. (downhill stop) It comes and goes and sometimes doesn't hammer. It happens just before the bike comes to a stop. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It is starting to get annoying. Could it be the steering head bearing ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !....CJ

Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front End Hammering when Stopping

Wierd. No noise or vibration over bumps/potholes? If not it would seem to be the caliper/pad/rotor.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...you're not describing this the same way many others have...but if it is the same thing (which has been described as a "front end clunk"), it is a common issue with 06 dynas. There have been a number of explanations to this, but it seems the most common has been a result of the floating front rotor. Please understand that I'm not a mechanic, and I don't claim to know this for sure...but I remember reading something like this on a number of occasions. I, too, have this "clunk" on occasion. My dealer has said that it's "normal"...which I don't buy for a second...but if they say so, it's on them if anything ever goes wrong. I did get them to put that in writing.
Sorry I don't have more info.

Todd

Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
kimo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna throw this out, Just in case. Directly under the front of the gas tank. There is a hard plastic that covers the wiring in your frame it was the culprit in all the noise i was hearing on bumps..Its worth a check you can see and touch it with out taking anything loose. good luck to ya. Its roughly 3 inches wide by 6 inches long.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cjackson

I have a 2006 FXDI 35 with 3000 miles on it. I am getting a hammering type rattle that seems to come from the front end when I am coming to a stop. It seems to be getting worse. It is more pronounced when the front end is loaded up. (downhill stop) It comes and goes and sometimes doesn't hammer. It happens just before the bike comes to a stop. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It is starting to get annoying. Could it be the steering head bearing ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !....CJ
Based strictly on what you're describing, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it's the steering head bearing.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Mine has been doing that off and on since I bought it. Now the back is starting to do it. It's annoying, but not dangerous. I have not had tiome to really investigate it yet. But I think it's brake chatter. Hit the brake pads and rotors with some 120 grit sand paper. When I get time I'm going to try that.