Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts
Talking

I'm thinking about apes on my '10- but I also have 16" apes on my Panhead so It's not high on my list.

Here's the place I'm looking at for bars..
http://road6customs.com/products-pag...ts/handlebars/

My Panhead's bars..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap isnt always bad either

Man, I just went through the old reciepts that came with my bike and I threw out like 3 of them that were $300.00 bux for oil changes and spark plugs from dealer before I purchased it. I am just saying guys,save some dough and do the work yourselves is all. So what if I may have to deburr some holes. Now if anybody says well i was riding down the road and the bar broke in half. Let me hear that one and I wont use them. In this industry you dont get what you pay for,you get what someone thinks a yuppy will pay. $300.00 smackers to have the oil changed!!! With crappy HD OIL. Sorry guys I still spoon my own tires on and static balance cuz I refuse to pay HD $80.00 a tire to change em 4 me. This is not a rant, I just hate seeing guys drop their hard earned dough to pay overpriced mechanics to do easy jobs. And remember a master or A tech at HD only gets like $16 -$18 bux an hour of that $80.00 an hour he bills, being a mechanic by trade thats hard to eat right there. Ride Hard, Save Dough It will be more rewarding if you do. Be safe out there my friends...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 AM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
harley's kit is actually 12 or 13 inch apes with risers totaling 16 total inches above the triple tree.

i went with 14" carlinis on 2" risers and with a low solo seat my hands are right above my shoulders.

i'm 5'10" on a good day with a 35 inch sleeve length.

here's a profile of the bike...

and here's me on it...

hope this helps ya
Toastman- what length of the cables did you go with? How much over stock? I have the stock mini apes on my '10 bob (12") on 2" risers and I didn't have to change the cables... So I'm thinking 16" apes... are only a couple of inches taller than stock... +2? +4? +6? What setup are you running? I may wanna go with 16s on the risers or just the 16s.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
FBINA212
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful when using Hill Country Customs. I ordered the 13" apes with all the braided lines. 18 months later my clutch cable began leaking. I called them and ordered another clutch cable on 07/18/10. They sent me an e-mail saying it was shipped on 07/19/10. I still had not recieved the cable as of today (07/27/10) so I called Fed Ex. They said that HCC printed a shipping label but never scheduled a pick-up so the cable was still at HCC. I called HCC and they claimed the truck picked it up but it was probably lost. How did they address this issue you ask??? They told me that I would have to pay to have another cable shipped and overnighted (leaving for Sturgis in 2 days) and then when the other cable shows up, I will have to return it to them. I've spent alot of money with them, but from this point forward I will never purchase another item from HCC. I'll never know if they screwed up or if Fed Ex screwed up, but HCC did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make sure their customer was satisfied!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FBINA212
Be careful when using Hill Country Customs. I ordered the 13" apes with all the braided lines. 18 months later my clutch cable began leaking. I called them and ordered another clutch cable on 07/18/10. They sent me an e-mail saying it was shipped on 07/19/10. I still had not recieved the cable as of today (07/27/10) so I called Fed Ex. They said that HCC printed a shipping label but never scheduled a pick-up so the cable was still at HCC. I called HCC and they claimed the truck picked it up but it was probably lost. How did they address this issue you ask??? They told me that I would have to pay to have another cable shipped and overnighted (leaving for Sturgis in 2 days) and then when the other cable shows up, I will have to return it to them. I've spent alot of money with them, but from this point forward I will never purchase another item from HCC. I'll never know if they screwed up or if Fed Ex screwed up, but HCC did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make sure their customer was satisfied!!!
Did they charge you for the original replacement?

Sounds like you expect them to warranty a cable after 18mos of use. That's a tough one to swallow for me.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 07-27-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
FBINA212
2nd Gear

I didn't expect them to warranty the cable at all. I called and ordered the replacement and was happy to pay for it, knowing it was out of warranty. The issue was that it was never shipped and the only thing they'll do to help me out is charge me for another cable and for the overnight shipping. Then ask me to return the first cable I ordered, if in fact it ever shows up, and they will refund me the purchase price of that one. So in essence, if the first cable never shows up (which is likely since HCC and Fed Ex have no clue where it's at) then i've payed double the cost of the cable and double the shipping. As stated in my other posts, the quality of product that i've recieved from them has been good but this is my first and last time ever dealing with them for customer service support. They basically left me with a feeling that they didn't care that my cable was lost and/or never shipped, nor could they care less that I have now had to reschedule my Sturgis vacation and am out some pretty significant hotel costs.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you reschedule your Sturgis vacation and your out some pretty significant hotel costs thats on you. your trying to bluff or something, how is it leaking? if it didnt break ride that *****, its just a o ring at the clutch release cover, so am really baffled at how it could be that big of a deal. go to a indy or dealer and get something. who cares if it matches. deal with that when your home. that being said, you payed with a card, so dispute it. they have to give you your product or refund your card within x amount of days from the dispute open. I have had to do it before.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
FBINA212
2nd Gear

I completely understand that rescheduling is on me, I don't expect HCC to pick up my hotel tab. And why the hell would I try and bluff a company 2,000 miles away from me to send me another $55.00 cable. That's just plain ignorant and I am not a freakin' crook. Here's the deal with the cable - There is crack in the braiding right where the chrome nut at the end of it meets the braiding. Because the cable is submerged in oil where it goes into the tranny, sometimes you can get blow back in your cable and oil will travel up the cable a little bit. This is normal from what HD says and what i've seen on other posts, but i'm not a mechanic so I have to take their word for it.
The problem I have however, is that the cable is leaking about one inch or so from where it goes into the tranny. I suppose it is rideable at this point, had I kept the cracked cable on the bike, but I for one don't really appreciate oil dripping and getting on my rear tire as I drive 900 miles to Sturgis! Maybe i'm just being **** on that one, but from what i've heard, OIL AND TIRES DON'T MIX WELL AT 65MPH!!
I understand it's not under warranty anymore, that's why I called HCC and BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE! I was completely happy when they said "yep we got one in stock and we'll send it out tomorrow." The point that you're obviously not getting is that HCC NEVER SHIPPED THE FREAKING CABLE THAT I ORDERED AND WHEN I POINTED THIS OUT THEY WANTED TO CHARGE ME FOR ANOTHER CABLE BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHERE THE FIRST ONE IS AT! If you're cool with paying $110.00 for a $55.00 cable, then I'll give you the number to HCC and you can spend away! Or if you want, I have a slightly used one i'll sell you for cheap, shipping included!
I would love to go to another dealer and get one, but JP Cycles, Dennis Kirk and Parts Unlimited are all out of stock of the cable. I don't care if it matches or not, but it's a +8 cable because of the apes I put on my bike. I have a buddy layering it with gasket maker right now to see if it will hold, and if it holds i'm going. My whole point to this is that someone asked if anyone had any experience with HCC. I have, and I told them what my experience was like.
Oh yeah....the O Ring is fine too...that's the first thing we checked.

Last edited by FBINA212; 07-29-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: didn't finish typing!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Legion Rider
Cruiser

Ordered mine from Hill Country Custom about 5 months ago and so for I have been pleased with the set up. Bar and cables look good. Less then 400 to the door.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
coryhdwg
Intermediate

i know this threads kind of old but im looking at hill country kits for my 02 wide glide ill prob go with 16s (im 6.0") but im bot really a big fan of bars wider than the fork tubes i was wondering if anyone thinks the narrow apes would look good on my bike? thanks

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...6-in-P391.aspx

i think these would be too bulky

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...lack-P358.aspx

Quick Reply: Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.