Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 16" Burly Apes and Magnum Shielding cables.
Got the bars from Dennis Kirk and cables direct from Magnum.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.-downsized_0513000845.jpg   Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.-downsized_0513000845a.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We talked to a great guy on here who is willing to let us have his stock bars off newer model streetbob and are so excited but also scared to try and change the bars off of husbands' 2010 wg. We still haven't figured out how much cables and wires are going to be or where we are going to get them. Nice to know someone else is fighting the same fight.
Hopefully someone somewhere has or will post how to change out bars and cables, etc. Might be one of us getting ready to do the change will take pics and document it all for the next poor sucker.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
uneasy_rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on putting Street Bob bars on my 07 SG. I know that I will need longer brake, throttle, and clutch cables, but can anyone tell me if the stock wiring will be long enough? Thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
We talked to a great guy on here who is willing to let us have his stock bars off newer model streetbob and are so excited but also scared to try and change the bars off of husbands' 2010 wg. We still haven't figured out how much cables and wires are going to be or where we are going to get them. Nice to know someone else is fighting the same fight.
Hopefully someone somewhere has or will post how to change out bars and cables, etc. Might be one of us getting ready to do the change will take pics and document it all for the next poor sucker.
there's a bunch of threads about changing bars and doing the internal wiring yourself.

with the stock SB bars you should have ample wiring, just pull it thru the neck of the bike there's gonna be enough there.

my guess is +4 on your cables. but that's a total blind guess.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When we put the taller bars on my Street Bob the posts by Mud in these two threads helped us with the internal wiring https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...h-my-bars.html https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2700467-post403.html dealing specifically with how to get the connectors apart to run the wires through the bars then reconnect the wires to the connectors.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 06-02-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
easystreet68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 16" with 2" risers (I'm 6'5" so Apes = Much more comfortable) from J&P (forgot the brand) for my FXDF with intent on getting a shop to do the install later on down the road, got a wild hair and decided to give the installation a shot. I checked around and found HCCC, gave'em a call and they hooked me up with a cable kit (clutch, throtle, Idle, brake and wire extensions) $320 total including shipping. Stuff they sent was good quality with the exception of the connectors on the extensions, ended up cutting them off and soddering (can't speak on pre-wired kits). Anywho, I'm by no means a master mechanic but my dad and me got it together in a weeks time, but thats a few hours here and there between work. Total cost of my install $450, my buddy got his 18's done by a local shop for just north of $1000, imho, with patience and a service manual, doing it yourself is worth it, even better if you can get ahold of them before your trip and HCCC was helpfull in my situation.

Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.-my-ride.jpg

Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I must be real cheap

I must be real cheap because I got my bars for $109 shipped 12 inch z bars,grips for $55.00 and was bummin that I had to buy another brake line for $40 bux . I have never had the patience to take those stupid connectors apart so when I did drags on my streetbob I cut them and shortened the extra wire,now I have to cut and extend them. I did a set of apes on a softail nce and swore to never f^%k with those stupid connectors again. Geez man, A grand for bars!!! WTF I could revamp my whole bike for a g. that would be like 200 bux for a rim,300 tires,200 for seat,100 air filter, Anyways, just sayin guys do the work yourself and quit throwin money away.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just remember you get what you pay for just because its cheap dosen`t make it a great deal in the long run no knothing about hcc although i hear there bars are not filed real good at the holes

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

around these parts the bars aren't supposed to taller than I believe 15" about seat height.
Good thing I know alot of cops who come to my shop......

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
just remember you get what you pay for just because its cheap dosen`t make it a great deal in the long run no knothing about hcc although i hear there bars are not filed real good at the holes
I've used setups from HCCC twice now and I haven't experienced any issues with the holes on the bars not being burr-free.

Quick Reply: Looking for those of you that have shopped for and installed Apes.