Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hd denim paint won't match!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 PM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hd denim paint won't match!

I purchased denim black paint and the activator from Harley for an 07 street bob to repaint my rear fender after it was welded and filled. My painter can't get it to match the original denim black color on my tank and front fender. It appears flat but with a semi gloss finish and slightly darker than the original tins. He tried backing off on the hardener and still no luck. Is he doing something wrong? Would denim black aeresol can maybe work? Any opinions are experiences with repainting a tin denim black? I'm at my wits end.....thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain as I had the same problems. On my 06 SB the front fender was tweaked and need to be replaced. I had taken the fend to a shop to get painted and they were just going to use Hot Rod Flat Black and match the color.

So okay fine, what ever and Yada, Yada, Yada....3 month later I was talking to a Harley Tech and was informed the demin paint is meant to fade and take on a weather appearance and no other paint is going to go that.

Okay back to the paint shop and pick up my fender they hadn't even touched in 3 months.

I ordered a can of Colorite spray paint in Demin Black and is wasn't even close other than some shade of black.

Now I figure the original owner of my SB owned an Condo converted from and old apartment complex and had no more than a car port at best. So the paint was really faded and weathered and new paint just wasn't going to match the older pieces.

This might be the same issues you are having.

I sanded the fender down again, re primed and prepped the tank tank as well. The Tank had some brush touch up the guy had done and under the SB Emblems was the original dark black paint where it hadn't faded.

Masked everything on the bike, pulled the seat, removed the console and broke up a rattle can of Krylon Ultra Flat Camo Paint....Almost perfect with just a slight sheen to it compared the rear fender I didn't want to mess with.

Get out a can of Testors Dull Coat #1260 (Available at Michaels Crafts and better Model shops) and spray the fender and tanks with the Dull Coat.

Left it the dry and bingo, flat black weathered super dull paint and you could tell the difference between the rear fender and what I did in the driveway.

Most likely not he most durable but for $10.00 I can touch the whole thing up any time I need.

Karsten

Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced
Default hd denim black aerosol a perfect match?

Might try to rattle can after all my paint woes. Anyone tried hd denim black rattle can and how was the match?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand the denim paint is supposed to fade a little over time. Like denim jeans do. The sun will increase the effect. If you want everything to match perfectly you'll probably have to get all the tins sprayed at the same time.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced

I understand the paint is supposed to fade over time but I know it hasn't faded to the point it is not even close to matching the quart of paint I bought from the dealer. Has anyone had any luck with hd denim black aerosol can?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

two things... did you also get the denim clear... Next....the tricky part... flat glosses up when laid on too thick through a paint gun...your painter probably can't get the paint to go on smooth without laying down the paint too thick to have the same degree of flat as the stock paint job. Best thing to do is to repaint the entire set, or, the rattlecans will lay down smoother with less thickness so you may choose to go this route. A flat paint job is the hardest paint to do through a gun!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem with mine when I first bought it. It was used and the back fender had some bad rub marks so I bought the Denim paint and activator from HD. Took it to a paint shop and the fender came out satin black. I ended up having the whole bike repainted and actually liked the satin color better but I got tired of it after a while and have since had the bike repainted vivid black.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced

I bought the black denim paint and activator. Is the activator the denim clear you are referring to?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by albanynyharleyrider
I bought the black denim paint and activator. Is the activator the denim clear you are referring to?
NO the clear is a quart of clear. The H-D paint has color and clear. The clear will change the color of the paint probably. Still, if the paint is coming out too glossy, it is probably your painters technique causing it. Believe me I fought this problem painting my tins flat.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced

Im confused. I needed the clear also?

Quick Reply: hd denim paint won't match!