Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and their relative 'noise'

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010 | 02:38 PM
trapper_canada
|
Cruiser
Default Cams and their relative 'noise'

I have been researching Cam choices and have come across numerous mentions of "this cam being louder" etc...

I spoke to the dealer and they were pushing HD cams.... strange eh? Anyways I asked about Woods (thinking the TW6-6) and he said its a good cam but much noisier than say the SE 255.

Now in looking for a Cam I want the performance to match my need (torque torque torque in as much of the RPM range as possible) BUT I have an **** ear and excess noise coming from the cams may annoy me.

So, compared to stock, are different cams the same...quieter...louder?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2010 | 02:57 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

I had the TW6-6 and didn't notice any more noise than my stock cams. The TW6-6 was a great cam.

Old 05-31-2010 | 03:10 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

The steeper the ramp angle the nosier it will be.

Old 05-31-2010 | 05:48 PM
trapper_canada
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thedonthere
The steeper the ramp angle the nosier it will be.
I am not sure what "ramp angle" is? How does one know how steep it is?

Old 05-31-2010 | 07:15 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Basically what Don is saying is that if you want performance, you may have to give up a little on the '**** ear'.

I just installed the Wood 6 cams. My top end is a tad noisier now but I can live with it.

Old 05-31-2010 | 07:28 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser

You may want to avoid the Red Shift 575 cams, man those things were loud. I had to get rid of them. I swithched to the Andrews 21H's and the noise is comparable to stock but more low end grunt which I like.

Old 05-31-2010 | 08:09 PM
tweakin
Road Master

Man if you have an **** ear, you should not have bought a harley, lol.

Really, what the guys said above is almost always true.

Old 05-31-2010 | 09:53 PM
trapper_canada
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tweakin
Man if you have an **** ear, you should not have bought a harley, lol.

Really, what the guys said above is almost always true.
hee hee

Only certain things annoy me... I had a very high-pitched 'whistle' that was coming from someplace...drove me batty (until it stopped). I LOVE the exhaust sound...but some of the 'ticks' that can come from engines...yuck.

We have a short season here...to make it longer I am 'forced' to put on the windshield...I HATE that cause it just amplifies the ticks and the pings and the whatever from the engine... without the shield it is perfect. So my thinking is when I have the shield on I don't want it to get too annoying.

Maybe straight pipes is the answer!

Old 05-31-2010 | 09:55 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

i just went with the woods kit, wow what a nice mod, slightly more noise but you will love the grunt

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:32 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

I believe the ramp angle Don is referring to is the shape of the lobes on the cam ... determining factors would be how early the cam opens, the overall lift and duration .... the steeper the angle of the cam lobe, the more lateral force it applies to the edge of the lifter and the shorter the time the valve train is engaged to open the valve ... a more rounded or flatter angle on the cam would cause less lateral force and lesser forces on the valvetrain .... (Think about it ... whether the lobe is shaped more like the profile of an egg or an ellipse ....)

Don - might want to check me on this and add any amplifying or clarifying comments ...

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Cams and their relative 'noise'