Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and their relative 'noise'

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 11:21 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
The length of the pushrod should be the distance between the lifter when resting on the off-lobe position of the cam to the rocker arm with the valve closed ... most grinds for use on street bikes will have the off lobe radius equal to the stock cams ... which is why you can use the stock push rods .... So, the adjustable push rods, when properly adjusted should end up being the same length ....

Potentially any noise might be from the valve train losing momentary contact with each other when the cam opens ... if this is exacerbated due to high lift, the valves can 'float' ... i.e., not close totally ....

R/
'Chop
I think you are on it Todd. Most bolt in cams have the same base circle as stock hence the term bolt in. The nastier the cam (more lift/duration) the smaller the base circle meaning longer/adjustable pushrods.

Some of the noise comes from the lobe shape. I was reading that there is one manufacturer that has revised the heal of the lobe to cut down on valve chatter. Think of it this way, you're on top of a hill going down. One hill is gradual and an un-eventful decent. The other is steep with a very pronounced break at the top. As speed increases you catch a little air on the steep hill but not on the gradual hill.

It's all a compromise, the longer the valve stays at maximum lift the more radical the heal of the lobe will be and that increases the noise.

I could be way off base here, it's just what I have interpreted from some reading I have done.

Old 07-12-2010 | 11:32 PM
ioncat14
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Something I've been thinking about is....couldn't some (if not all) of the noise be adjusted out using adjustable pushrods? I would think the noisiness would come from the pushrod leaving contact with the rocker, then finding contact again.
My thoughts exactly. After having installed TW6-6's myself I also noticed extra noise in the top end. I too thought maybe the pushrods were not adjusted properly. I made a couple of small adjustments to lengthen (not going to far as I didn't want to bottom out the lifters) but without any noticable difference in the sound. I guess I'm more worried about the increased noise in the valve train is actually causing excessive wear and is going to lead to engine damage. BTW, I do love the torque these cams put out!

07 SuperGlide
Wood TW6-6's, V&H slipons,
Power Commander, dyno tuned

Last edited by ioncat14; 07-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 | 12:10 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

thats because you have a bagger with all that fiberglass on it i surprised you even hear your motor, and i apolgise for the yamaha thing,

Old 07-13-2010 | 09:19 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

What dealer are you going to? Naturally, they're gonna push the HD stuff but some have more experience with hop-ups using "other" products...I'm using HQ cams in my motor with their lifters and SE perfect fit pushrods to make up for the HQ heads. Have over 30k miles on the build, two-up and solo; still running strong...the gear drive/cam lobes may be noisier but so is the exhaust and you can tell it's NOT a stock HD when it's idleing.

Attached Thumbnails Cams and their relative 'noise'-103-dyno-e-mail.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010 | 07:05 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

I wonder if the guys who change there valve springs are experiencing any noise??

adjustable pushrods are heavier too. So its going to take more spring pressure to controll the valve train. so not only does the spring have to lift the valve, locks and keepers. It also hase to push the rocker arms, pushrod, and hifters, with there related drag(friction). In other words there is more chance of chatter.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:24 PM
FXDFan
Tourer

Installing the Woods TW6-6 and andrews pushrods tomorrow. Was already noisy imo stock so see if it gets worse..

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:31 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have any noise worth worrying about but from what I hear the Wood lifters will take care of the noise, a few others will as well.