Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gently layed it over on primary side, oil leaked out???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gently layed it over on primary side, oil leaked out???

Me and the wife were going for a ride this morning, stopped to get gas and I fueled both bikes while she went in and payed. After fueling her bike (I fuel while sitting on the bike, wont be doin that anymore) I went to get off and didnt have the side stand down and over she went. It didnt go down hard but did go over, quarter of the clutch lever broke off, other than that just some minor scratches on the derby cover which she was going to replace anyway. Anyway, after I got the bike back up which was really quick (she didnt even know it happend) I noticed there was a few drops of oil right under the primary side, got home and parked it and still a couple of drops. Have since cleaned it real good and actually ran up to the store and back and so far its all good. Was just wondering why it would have leaked oil in the first place??? Anyone else experience this?? Comments,theories???

Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When the clutch oil is full there is enough oil in there that on the jiffy stand oil is actually resting on the derby cover. If there was pressure on the cover some oil may have leaked between the seal and the edge of the cover. Or sometimes when the oil gets changed, and if there is some oil left unwiped it could sit there and leak out. If it persists set the bike level and remove the cover to inspect it. Should take about 10 minutes to do that, be sure and use a t 27 torx,not the t25 which is a common enough mistake.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you may have lost oil through the breather. It is a rubber hose located between the primary and tranny on my 05. I assume your bike has something like this as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My transmission cover has a vent hose on the top left side...when I laid mine down once, a few drops of oil leaked out of it.