Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The gravel monster got me :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM
roadrashburns
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The gravel monster got me :(

ok so i was out riding and coming up to an intersection i admit i was going a little to fast and bam hit the sand/gravel patch and down it goes. It only f*&%ed up the derby cover and some small scratches on the bottom of the primary. So i went to my local indy he had a used derby cover with some scratches on it for $20 took it home fresh shot of paint and its good to go. On the bright side i was gonna replace it with a black one any way.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 PM
All_Clear
Intermediate

That sucks! Glad your ok. Watched a friend go down in the parking lot on a rocket at 20mph and road rashed his head and face pretty good. Mostly hurt his pride but it happens. Most time unexpectedly.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you came out ok. I had a similiar situation happen to me but luckily the tire bit and I saved it. It sucks to learn those lessons the hard way.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Badmonkey
Tourer

happen to me when my bike was less then a week old...shift lever bent into primary cover and gave it a lil hole...but that paled in comparisin to the pride. that hurt a lil more then $250 for new cover

Old 05-30-2010, 05:07 AM
Smitty79
Road Master

Yeah that sucks. I had a buddy that was riding one of those 10' long stretched out customs that hit a patch of gravel and went down hard! Broke his collar bone and busted up his knee. Bike was toatled, told him to buy a dyna and now he's wishing he had. Glad you are ok and that the bike didn't get damage too bad.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are Ok. Had the same thing happen to me, but didn't come away as well as you did. $3K to the bike (dented the gas tank), and broken ankle for me. That gravel can really suck. I am certainly fixated on the stuff now.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

Glad your ok... my wife had something similar happen right after she started riding. She took the MSF course and they talked alot about ice but never said anything about sand. There is sand everywhere here in Florida and yep, she hit it in a turn and down she went. She was Ok but the bike had $1200 damage, mostly to her tank that was just custom painted a week prior. I got her a Gremlin Bell right after that.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've never dropped your ride, then you don't ride. Dropped mine two weeks after I had it. No serious damage, scratched the Derby Cover a little, but you can't even see it unless you know it's there. Scratched the left rear turn signal a little bit. Took some 1,500 grit sand paper and wet-sanded it VERY lightly and used some Mothers Chrome Polish on it (Mothers rules). I don't even think about it anymore.

Now I have an excuse to buy the 'Flames' Derby Cover I want anyway.

In Florida, there's a lot of hazards. Sand, gravel, Blue Heads (the old ladies that dye their hair blue -- Honest), farmers that aren't used to traffic, New Yorkers that have (seriously) never owned a car, can't drive, but have had a DL for forty years, and people who are visiting and don't know where they're going. They drive like crapola. Looking for street signs, landmarks -- Whatever. But everybody drives bad when they don't know where they're going. Everybody.

Then there's the rain. Something about the way they make the roads down here, but when it rains, the road surface is like ice. Like somebody poured oil all over the roads or sumpthin. Bad news. It gets better as rainy season goes on, I guess it washes the oil out of the blacktop, but man......... It can get scary.

Point being, thank God you're okay. But everybody drops their ride.

Or they will.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
transam7969
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grendel4
If you've never dropped your ride, then you don't ride.
That's just retarded. Sounds like what someone would say who's always dropping their bike to tries to excuse it.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transam7969
That's just retarded. Sounds like what someone would say who's always dropping their bike to tries to excuse it.
I agree ! Been riding 30+ years and have never dropped any of my street bikes.During my Enduro racing days i certainly dropped a few of those bikes slamming into corners, jumps etc,But never have dropped a street bike.Been run off the road numerous times,forced to find gaps between other cars to keep from getting hit etc....And no i am not bragging by any means, i know that no matter how much racing or experience you may have, it can happen at any time....Just gotta bring your A-GAME every time you saddle up and hope for the best.NOTE....I have actually got out of more wrecks and bad situations using throttle more than brakes.

Quick Reply: The gravel monster got me :(