Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Northern B
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?

I just installed my HD distressed leather bags ... I can see it's going to be a PIA when washing the bike with them on. I am going to have to get some detachable hardware for them. I have been looking at the barebacks, easy brackets & edge brackets ... the edge & easy brakets seem like they will make the bags stick out too far (I have the backrest docking hardware as well), so I am leaning towards the barebacks.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks B

HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?-bob-bags1.jpg HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?-bob-bags-2.jpg

Old 05-29-2010, 07:58 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will you have to do some re-wiring on those tail lights if you go the detatch route? I know when I put a detatch luggage rack on, they had to do that.
How about applying some type of waterproofing to the leather.....or.... putting a plastic bag overthem when you wash? Just an idea.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the same bags on my 2008 Fatbob. I have a quick detach rear rack and I went with Barebacks. They make the bags stick out a little but you get used to it. They are VERY fussy about being lined up just right. You have to have them perfectly lined up to get them to work. I have adjusted mine and still do not have them just right. A real tight fit. You are right in the need to remove the bags for cleaning. Take care Mike.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to post up some pics when you decide on which detachable brackets. I just ordered my distressed bags but was just going to bolt them on as I just wipe down my WG with a wet/damp microfiber towel. I have the same concerns about the bags sticking out the additional inch so I'll be interested in your opinion and comments when you make your choice. I also like the plastic bag idea!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the easy brackets along with the detachable backrest. The brackets jut out a bit (see pic). I will try to take a close up with the bags on. With the bags on, they dont stick out too much. But more notecable without the bags.

I do agree that they are a pain to put on. I think they may have bent slightly in the past as it takes a lot of time and patience to get them to slide on the brackets.

Attached Thumbnails HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?-img00028-20100508-1344.jpg  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The plastic bag idea will help keep the bags dry but having them in the way doesn't help cleaning the bike. Its much easier with the bags off

Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM
patsfan05488
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Northern B
Tourer

Originally Posted by DonN
I have the easy brackets along with the detachable backrest. The brackets jut out a bit (see pic). I will try to take a close up with the bags on. With the bags on, they dont stick out too much. But more notecable without the bags.

I do agree that they are a pain to put on. I think they may have bent slightly in the past as it takes a lot of time and patience to get them to slide on the brackets.

Thanks for posting the pic & one with the bags on would be appreciated!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Northern B
Tourer

Originally Posted by ynots
The plastic bag idea will help keep the bags dry but having them in the way doesn't help cleaning the bike. Its much easier with the bags off
My thoughts as well, plus I don't really need the bags all the time so it's nice to have the quick detach option.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is a side view and back. There is a bit of a gap, but it doesnt bother me too much.

Attached Thumbnails HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?-bag-back.jpg   HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?-bag-side.jpg  

Quick Reply: HD distressed leather bags installed .... detchable hardware recomendations?