Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30t Evolution Industries Primary Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 AM
craftsmandave
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30t Evolution Industries Primary Sprocket

Hey Guys I just got my new Sprocket on yesterday and completed a 100miles on it. Wondering who else has used this sprocket. The install was easy (working on harleys is) But heres the problem with this sprocket.

Stock HD uses a 34t Compensator style Primary drive chain sprocket. 3 piece design.

The Evolution Industries 30t primary drive sprocket is a 1 piece NON compensating sprocket. So it is bolted directly to the crackshaft with travel for/aft in the primary chain.

My concern is that the new sprocket could effect crankshaft endplay and vibration absorbtion qualities that the stocker once had??

Torque is obiously better on acceleration and all gears are more usable and 6th is no longer a joke.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:51 AM
tweakin
Road Master

Your concern about this sprocket is a good one. IMO using the evo industries 30t and ditching the stock comp sprocket just makes the weakest link of the motor weaker.

I would only use the evo industries sprocket if I had my crank welded up to prevent slip. I even asked the questions to evo industries when I was doing research on this mod and they would not touch it. This is the reason why I went with the Andrews rear 30t pulley vs the evo sprocket that requires the removal of the comp. sprocket.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
craftsmandave
Intermediate

yeah thats what I was thinking. Tell ya what is shakes pretty good. when is under a hard load in a taller gear for example. like 4th when I should be in 3rd, then slowly roll on the throttle it shakes the hell out of the bike. Its like the driveline is fighting the engine vibes?? Then if I drop to the proper gear (slightly higer RPM's) then the shakes go away??

Very concering since I just spent like 250 bucks on this primary set up. I know some other guys with heavier dressers with over 5000miles and no complaints? I guess the way to run this primary is dont lug the motor.

In the old days they never had compensators

Last edited by craftsmandave; 05-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tweakin has a good point on this! Alot of guys run these with no complaints & no vibes aswell as myself for about 3 years now with no issues...my crank/flywheels are trued & welded, but I know a few guys with the same sprocket without any crank/flywheel work with many miles on the evo sprocket with no signs of anymore runout. Bottom line is not a having a comp. concerns some people but not everyone! If you're hesitant, go with Tweaks setup (30t pulley from andrews), it's a good setup aswell!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda felt the same way about going bigger, not until my crank balanced for the new pistons and welded.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Did Evo close it's website?
Who is Tweaks?
Andrews has a 30T sprocket? Link?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Did Evo close it's website?
Who is Tweaks?
Andrews has a 30T sprocket? Link?
answer#1: no
Answer#2: look up
answer#3: yes for some time now
Answer#4: http://www.andrewsproducts.com/

Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by craftsmandave
yeah thats what I was thinking. Tell ya what is shakes pretty good. when is under a hard load in a taller gear for example. like 4th when I should be in 3rd, then slowly roll on the throttle it shakes the hell out of the bike. Its like the driveline is fighting the engine vibes?? Then if I drop to the proper gear (slightly higer RPM's) then the shakes go away??
If you know you should be in 3rd instead of 4th, put it in third. Lugging the motor to the point of shuddering is not a good practice at all and hard on the motor and drive train.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackmopar
answer#1: no
Answer#2: look up
Answer #1 - I think they did.

Answer #2 - http://www.tweakxp.com/
Couldnt find how this fits in the Harley arena though.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
scottyd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craftsmandave
Hey Guys I just got my new Sprocket on yesterday and completed a 100miles on it. Wondering who else has used this sprocket. The install was easy (working on harleys is) But heres the problem with this sprocket.

Stock HD uses a 34t Compensator style Primary drive chain sprocket. 3 piece design.

The Evolution Industries 30t primary drive sprocket is a 1 piece NON compensating sprocket. So it is bolted directly to the crackshaft with travel for/aft in the primary chain.

My concern is that the new sprocket could effect crankshaft endplay and vibration absorbtion qualities that the stocker once had??

Torque is obiously better on acceleration and all gears are more usable and 6th is no longer a joke.
Where did you get your kit, if you dont mind me asking the cost as well..

Quick Reply: 30t Evolution Industries Primary Sprocket