Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's better riding than a Super Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts
Default What's better riding than a Super Glide?

Wednesday I got out and took a long ride South for a few hours. I stopped in at a HD dealer and found myself looking at the Super Glides while stretching my legs. The next thing I know I am out on a demo ride of one. The ride was about a 6 mile course they offered me. I couldn't believe how much nicer it is over a 1200 custom sportster. The SG just handled good enough I was ready to take it home with me. The last part of the ride back to the dealer was on a 55 mph stretch of lightly used highway. The bike got up to speed really fast and shifting was a breeze. The problem I found was in slowing down. I wasn't use to mid controls and at first thought that was the problem. Pressing down hard on both brakes did what I thought was minimal braking compared to the sporty.
I read on these forums that brakes are a known concern of riders on the Super Glide. I was going to put on forward controls but I hesitate to think I would have to do a brake upgrade just to be safe on the road.
So I get to my question is there another model next in line after the Super Glide that handles as well but has better brakes?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing rides better than a Super Glide in my unbiased opinion. I installed some Lyndall Z+ brake pads and they were an improvement. The brakes were a concern after riding a VTX for 3 years, but I have gotten used to the feel, even with forward controls. When you REALLY have to stop, they won't let you down.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had about 200 miles on mine and had to make a 'panic stop' at one point.

I have no issues with the brakes. It's just a heavier motorcycle. They put too much brake on the bike and you risk locking the front wheel. Never a good thing.

Maybe you just have to get a little used to it.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

any Touring model...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:36 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
any Touring model...
I sure ain't gonna bad mouth any touring bike. I've rented Road Kings and Street Glides and they are sweet, but I could never give up my FXDC. I'd have to have one of each!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
So I get to my question is there another model next in line after the Super Glide that handles as well but has better brakes?
Not sure if they still make the FXDX? An alternative would be an FXDXT. They both had twin discs, plus superior suspension, but may only be available secondhand.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

So it could have just been a combination of mid controls that I am not use to and the bike being heavier by 70 or so pounds?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
So it could have just been a combination of mid controls that I am not use to and the bike being heavier by 70 or so pounds?
Yes sir! I experienced the same thing when test riding my FXDX for the first time. I was used to my XL883 (with forwards too) and felt the panic when I hopped on the "bigger" bike. The mid-controls make it feel heavier than it really is IMHO. I brought the FXDX home the next day and couldn't be happier. I put forward controls on it and that made a world of difference for me.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The duel front brakes makes no difference. I hate my brakes. I've been looking into some better brake components since I got my bike. The ones I looked at are way to much $$$$. Not saying the bike does not stop but it could be better. They seem to fade faster then they should.

I've rode a couple of Victory's and their brakes are a dream. They bring you down to a stop much faster then Harley's with out any lock up.

That said, I would never trade my Harley/FXDX for one. Maybe trade for a new Rocker.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
DaFish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Nothing rides better than a Super Glide in my unbiased opinion. I installed some Lyndall Z+ brake pads and they were an improvement. The brakes were a concern after riding a VTX for 3 years, but I have gotten used to the feel, even with forward controls. When you REALLY have to stop, they won't let you down.
+1 on the Lyndall Z pads. I've got them on my 01 DX and I can stop on a dime if I have to. The dual disc up front bikes do have an edge IMHO.

DaFish

Quick Reply: What's better riding than a Super Glide?