Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More shifting with 6-Speed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006 | 02:44 PM
singring
|
3rd Gear
Default More shifting with 6-Speed??

Hey there everyone,

First post....love this forum, great people, and excellent advice.....been doing a lot of research prior to purchasing a Dyna.
I'm in the market for a Low Rider, and a 2007 would be the my first choice, but one H-D dealer suggested I might do better with his floor model 2006 Softtail Duece. He let me take it for a ride, before the demo tour comes next month. He said the 6-speed Dyna gearing makes for more frequent shifting in city riding, and that there is only about a 200 rpm difference in highway cruising. Perhaps he's trying to get the 2006 model moved out sooner, and is trying to feed me some bull. I just prefer a Dyna Low Rider, for many reasons, over the Softtail, and a move from an 88 to a 96 just seems the natural way to go, but now since most of my riding will be in the city, having fewer shifts on average may sway
my decision.
Have any of you found the move from a 5-speed to a 6-speed to be a bit of a pain, and did it take you long to get used to the extra shifting?

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

Old 08-18-2006 | 02:53 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: More shifting with 6-Speed??

Um, and I'm a Deuce guy, he's tryin' to move the '06.

Gotta be at least 2 large less to make it work.

Old 08-18-2006 | 02:56 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

extra shifting??? I use mine like a 5 speed unless I get up to interstate speeds of 65+ and then I hit 6th. If you try to use 6th at 60 you end up shifting down a lot. I tried it and found that the bike is soooo smooth at 60-62 in 5th and my gas mileage is actually better then trying to use 6th. I think he is trying to move the 06. period. If you want a Dyna get the Dyna. To me its a hot rod.

Old 08-18-2006 | 02:57 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I have a 6 speed SG cunstom now, before that a 4 speed sportser. IMO the ratios aren't that spread and shifting between a six and five speed will probably not even be very noticeable. Especially in city traffic. The 6th gear on the hwy is ok, cuts the revs a bit, but when I go through the gears, sometimes I forget where I'm at! I often find myself shifting again, even though I am in 6th already. Wish I had a 6th gear indicator dummy light. As far as an answer to your qustion, I dont think there will be much difference.

Old 08-18-2006 | 03:03 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JollyRogers

extra shifting??? I use mine like a 5 speed unless I get up to interstate speeds of 65+ and then I hit 6th.
Ditto. I only use 6th on the freeway.

Old 08-18-2006 | 03:13 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL.More shifting,no way,the 6 speed tans is awesome. and great for highway use. yea,that dealer is just wanting to move that 2006 !!

Old 08-18-2006 | 03:15 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

He's just trying to unload the`06. I've been able to put some miles on an `06 Fatboy, `02 Road King plus my Bob and I greatly prefer the six speed of the new bikes. You don't need 6th gear until over 65mph but the closer ratios of the other five makes it more fun around town. No way would I choose an `06 Softail over an `07 Dyna. The `06 Dyna's were a great improvement but with the TC96 of the `07, there is no comparison.

Old 08-18-2006 | 03:55 PM
Ouiser
Advanced

I wouldn't sweat the extra gear either. Go with the bike you want.

I have an 05 WG. I was concerned about missing out on the 6th gear and the 96" engine. I find that I don't miss either. I usually don't even use 5th untill I'm going 65 or more, and this 88 has plenty of punch (the S&S cams probably help).

Old 08-18-2006 | 03:59 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

The Duce is a fantastic bike but go with the Low Rider-
Why, cause that's what you really want and will be bummed you didn't just to save a few bucks.
The 6th gear is great, no extra work. The salesman is blowing smoke.

Old 08-18-2006 | 04:02 PM
four5acp
Cruiser

I just prefer a Dyna Low Rider, for many reasons, over the Softtail, and a move from an 88 to a 96 just seems the natural way to go...
You already have your answer bud. I have the six speed and LOVE it. Don't notice any extra shifting. Get the bike YOU want to buy, not one the dealer wants to sell you.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: More shifting with 6-Speed??