Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Speeding ticket

Dose anyone no how the CHP can detect your speed when they are going one way and you another and we pass each other and they turn around and pull ya over and tell you your doing 72 in a 55....?
M opinon 72 is not speeding....He should of got me on those 45 curves I was doing 80 on....LOL

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Radar.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The chp was not on the side of the road with his Radar gun out...he as driving one way and I another....

Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

He doesn't have to be sitting still to clock you with radar.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
rokrawlr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of cruisers have a solid mount radar gun on the dash.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

The radar or laser returns everything including your reflection, it's a simple matter of subtracting the difference between the background return and your return to get your speed relative to the stationary background.

Basically, his radar gun has no idea it's moving. To the gun it looks like the whole world is moving. So it sees an entire sceen where everything is moving at the same speed except one object that is moving at a different speed, that would be you.

You'll have better luck fighting a radar or laser ticket if there are other moving vehicles in his frame of reference. Then at least you can say he had the wrong target.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Many law enforcement vehicles are being equipped with rear-facing solid mount radar peaking out of the rear window.

Keep that in mind when you see Johnny Law on the side of the road looking as though he's trying to nab speeders headed in your opposite direction. Also keep that in mind when you see one up ahead traveling in your same direction as they can get you while moving with the rear-facing radar as well.

Got a speeding ticket two weeks ago..... 80 in a 65.... $200 bones.... sumbeech was sitting on an overpass crossing the highway.... didn't see 'em til it was too late.... but hey ya gotta pay the piper when ya break the rules.

Coulda been worse. He started givin' me **** about my pipes... I played dumb and he let me go with out giving me the $88 ticket for that too.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
He doesn't have to be sitting still to clock you with radar.
Exactly, they have moving radar in the front and rear of their patrol cars.

They can get you sitting still, while rolling in traffic, and even when you're driving in the same direction and you're coming up from behind them.

Most of the officers I work with give ten to fifteen over on the interstate. Looks like you went over a little too much.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
ecvjohnny
Tourer

if they dont use a radrar they will use time and distance to determine your speed.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
judas666
Intermediate

all of these replies are correct. If you do intend to fight it, which i dont recommend, as someone already stated if its radar your best defense will be multiple moving "targets" around you. If its laser, there really is no defense. He just puts your vehicle in his reticule and pulls the trigger to get your speed, laser is very hard to argue with. As far as moving radar almost all of our patrol cars have forward, rearward, oncoming, and same direction capabilities, with forward oncoming being the most heavily used setting. That's not to say we don't use our calibrated speedometers to track your same direction speed as well. Every year we have our vehicles run on a dynamometer to verify our speedometers are correct to within 1 MPH from 0-120 MPH. Personally, I rarely write someone for anything less than 20 over and even then i knock it down to 9 over, but I'm a nice guy. Highway Patrol regardless of which state your talking about has only one mission and that is writing tickets where local law enforcement actually responds to calls for service (fights, shootings, rapes, etc) not just traffic enforcement. that being said Highway patrol has only one way to justify their existence... writing tickets. If you do plan to go to court over this, plead no contest and ask the judge to withhold any points that would have been applied to your license. If he says no and you haven't already done so in the last twelve months, go to traffic school online and have them taken off that way.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket