Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? about clutch adjustment

I picked up my new 06 FXDI in May and ever since the day I picked it up my bike will lunge forward a bit when I start it up with the clutch lever engauged while its in gear. I asked my dealer about this right off and he stated that your supposed to start it "ONLY" in neutral. Well,... I took his advice and havent had any problems but for some reason I tried starting it again one day with the clutch engauged while it was in gear and it didnt even want to start. It was like it was bogging the engine down. I then put it in neutral and it started right up. I am courious as to if the clutch is a bit out of adjustment and the dealer is just giving me the run around or is this what I should expect. Also 90% of the time when I **** into first when starting it up it gives a very loud CLUNK. I am also running Mobil1 V-Twin 20w50 in the engine and primary and Mobil1 75w90 synthetic in the tranny. But for some reason the service managers suggested fix of, "not starting it in gear", makes about as much sense as you telling your Dr. that your arm hurts when you raise it and him replying, "Just dont raise your arm." Does all this sound normal or what?

John

Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ? about clutch adjustment

jmbear ...

Mine will jump a little off a cold start, but stops after the engine has warmed up. I've never worried over it cause I only see for the 1st start. However, I've never had mine seem to bog while starting with the clutch in ... that sounds strange.

PsTaN

Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 PM
stubby
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right the dealer is giving you the run around. I start my 06 fxdi in 1st gear often when out the road and have no problem. When I stop the bike I leave it in 1st gear. I would rather my attention be on the existing traffic and any other conditions then seeing if my bike is in nuetral. Sounds like your dealer either does't know how to properly adjust the clutch or he is blowing you off. Have you been taking the bike to the dealer for the schedule maintenance. Many dealers will use this as their own excuse to blow you off. The CLUNK is just Harley.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As aready stated i would say the dealer is blowing you off. I start my 06 fxdbi in first all the time and never an issue.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed on my '06 Low Rider that the clutch friction zone moves quite considerably depending on whether the engine was just started (cold) or after running (hot).

When cold, the clutch engages close to grip (fully pulled in lever). Once hot, the clutch engages close to full release of the lever.

So I would guess that the clutch adjustment is pretty sensitive (if you had the adjustment a little too tight, it would be partially engaged when cold). I'm curious if you find the same "dragging" if you start in 1st after the engine is hot??

Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummmm,....... I have only tried it when the bike was cool,.... I will have to try it and see how it does once its warmed up.

John

Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

When I park in my driveway which has a pretty good incline, I leave it in first gear so it won't move... When I start it, it's in first gear ...No problems.. I've already adjusted my clutch, twice.. I'm picky about clutch engagement... They do it in the 1000 mile check.. If anyone wants to do their own, the procedure is in the Do It Yourself forum...

Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

In the manual, the way the factory sets the adjustment at the clutch plates (primary side) is not very tight. Manual wants you to loosen adjusting nut, turn shaft until just makes contact, then back it off 3/4 or more turn. Found if you only back it barely off so is just hardly not making contact, it gives you a lot more disengagement. Follow the entire procedure in the manual, with the exception of backing it off and you will not have the clutch contact you are having know with handle pulled.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:22 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

ReeseSS... That's how I do mine, one secret is to have a deep 11/16 socket with a nut on the top.. So you can use a wrench to tighten the nut while holding the allen wrench in place..
if you have an old box end wrench will do it too after bending it.... not holding the allen wrench is a crap shoot..

Old 08-22-2006, 10:59 PM
clinkowich
2nd Gear

hi -- the dealer is right you should always start in 1st gear. test this: push your bike in neautral and then in 1st gear..notice the 'drag' . this is an additional strain on the starter more noticeable in cold weather -- you'll run your battery down quicker. If you're clutch cable is adj. correctly then you should be OK. I would get rid of the MObille and stick with HD fluid except for the tranny - use Redline SHockproof gear oil. As far as the 'clunk' -- couldn't tell ya'

chuck

Quick Reply: ? about clutch adjustment