Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally completed project APE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM
lilbruce
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea man looks dang good!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Wow. They do look great but a little big for our comfort style. My husband has been talking about mini apes for a long while for his 2010 wg but is so far afraid to take on the wiring job himself. Also seems to be EXTREMELY expensive to do the internal wiring.
Can you give us details on what you had to do to wire those up? Nice to hear you're not a mechanic either. Gives me hope.
We were told by dealer they wanted $970 to do the job and that they would need to relocate turn signals to save on wire. Am hoping to pick up the pieces here and there and then find a friend, buy him some beer, and hope for a miracle.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
JoeBobber
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good man. congrats on completing the job. Feels good to work on your bike doesn't it.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It is real easy to relocate the turn signals. If your hubby has any mechanical ability he should be fine as long as he takes his time and documents how all the wire are. One easy way it is to take pictures.

If you are going with mini apes (10" like the earlier FXDWG's) then you should not need any more wire as there is plenty stuffed in the neck of the bike.

Also it would be a good time to switch to chrome controls. This way you could wire them while sitting at the dinner table. That is the way I will be going from mini apes to 14" apes. New controls and switches on new bars. Hardest part will be changing out the brake and clutch cable.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
It is real easy to relocate the turn signals. If your hubby has any mechanical ability he should be fine as long as he takes his time and documents how all the wire are. One easy way it is to take pictures.

If you are going with mini apes (10" like the earlier FXDWG's) then you should not need any more wire as there is plenty stuffed in the neck of the bike.

Also it would be a good time to switch to chrome controls. This way you could wire them while sitting at the dinner table. That is the way I will be going from mini apes to 14" apes. New controls and switches on new bars. Hardest part will be changing out the brake and clutch cable.
Hey Greg, Are you sure about having enough cable to do 10" bars? As nice as it would be, we've been researching this for a while and everyone I have asked before this - of course dealers and people who will make $$ from me - tell me we need all wires because of the drag bars on this bike.
I sure hope you're right. Of course, I guess we could just start pulling and see what we come up with.
As for the turnsignal relocate, that should be a snaap. Dealer recommanded that as a way to save on extra wire - just move them down.

Attached Thumbnails Finally completed project APE-100_0485.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G

I purchased my setup from www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com and all the wires were already ran through the bars and the switches mounted in the switch housings. There was actually very little for me to have to do.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, here's the sweet deal on the wiring. All I did was remove the pins from the connectors to pull thru the bars, then put back in place. No extension at all, those are stock wires. There should be more than enough for your 10" apes. Just make sure you mark the location of pins in the connector before you remove them. :-) As you see, I didn't relocate the signals. I like them on the bar a lot better than the relocation options they have.

Last edited by W G Junkie; 05-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
W G Junkie
Tourer

Total cost was about $310. I sold the stockers for $150 so I guess I did it for about $160 all said and done.

Last edited by W G Junkie; 05-25-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 PM
W G Junkie
Tourer

The risers are 1" offset that I picked up at the swap meet for $10. Don't know who makes em.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
I purchased my setup from www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com and all the wires were already ran through the bars and the switches mounted in the switch housings. There was actually very little for me to have to do.
Yep, they have a sweet deal. Real easy to just swap everything out, and switch to chrome housings at the same time. Only wish they sold Carlini's because I really love the Flying apes.

Quick Reply: Finally completed project APE