Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 1000 mile service...oil overfill ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default First 1000 mile service...oil overfill ?

Just got my bike back from it's 1000 mile service from the Dealer I got my bike from. They ran it 3 1/2 miles to check it out before I got it home in the back of my friend's truck. So today I go out to look at the oil level cold. I always do this cold because I cant remember to do it when it's hot. The oil level is way over the X's and in to the word full. When the bike was delivered to me new, the oil was at the bottom of the 2nd X from the top and it never went down in the 1047 miles I put on her. I'm going with a group tomorrow to Hell Michigan and I don't want oil spraying out of the AC all over my bike. I called the service manager and tolled him how high the oil level is and he said don't wiry about it, his Tec's know what they are doing. This isn't my first Harley and I have always kept the level down about 25% from the full mark when cold, never had any problems. So do you think I'm safe to run her with the oil level that high?...Thanks.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Take it back, let them suck a couple ounces out.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:05 PM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run it for awhile and see if it goes down....

Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
punisher911
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Hell a nice ride? I used to ride sportbikes through Brooklyn and the Ann Arbor area farm country for good curves. I lived in Clinton Township area and there were no curves. All straight and boring. Although, Royal Oak bike night was always busy.

Sorry if I highjacked....

Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that sounds exactly like my first and only experience letting the dealer handle my oil changes. I took some out myself with a turkey baster and haven't gone back for fluid changes since.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 PM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this myself on my first oil change. I filled it up per the specs and was way over the full limit. Then I heard about not only it blowing back into your ac but getting stuck in the rockers. So not having a tube to fit in the filler hole, I pulled the drain plug, dripped a little out and ran it for a bit-checked it and topped her off. No harm no foul.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

drain some out if your worried. You can use a turkey baster, or, just remove plug from below drain a few ounces and bolt plug back in.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,399 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
Man, that sounds exactly like my first and only experience letting the dealer handle my oil changes. I took some out myself with a turkey baster and haven't gone back for fluid changes since.
Same here. But I just got something form MOCO talking about "oil carryover" on touring bikes, I'm thinking its a problem on Dyna's also.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 AM
cyqq
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is too much? After putting forward controls on my 2010 Super Glide Custom everything was good for 30 mins and then when shifting from neutral to 1st the engine started loading with the clutch still in. However once engaged everything was good. This only happened from neutral to first. After taking it apart and putting it back together it appeared that we had put excess oil in the primary. Worked great but now it occasionally starts loading the engine from neutral to first again but only rarely. My question is "does the amount of primary lube have to be that precise?"

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

OP here. I took 8 oz back out and it's still on the full mark. Since then I have put 500 miles on with no problems. I'm betting they changed the fluids with a cold motor and didn't get as much of the old oil out they could have. When I get to the 5000 service I will do it my self with a hot motor and be sure I get all the oil out I can. Makes me wonder if the trany and primary might be over filled too.

Quick Reply: First 1000 mile service...oil overfill ?