Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I do NOT recommend Bub pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:34 PM
dhillr
Advanced

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:36 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had nothing but good luck with bub. Im running the "7" 2 into 1 now and it perfect. BTW Bub built the pipes for Rinehart. Rinehart had nothing to do with the quality of the pipes just the design.

Old 05-22-2010 | 04:37 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

The slipon's were probably packed with fiberglass. So they gave a deeper sound. It's easy to get the baffles out. First you have to take the end caps off. there are two screws with nuts holding each cap on then they just slide out. The baffles only have one screw and nut (the same size as the endcaps) then they just slide out.
I've had several differant brands of exhausts on differant bikes and I have never been happy with the sound of any of them right out of the box. I've allways had to do some thing to make them better. Usualy wrapping the baffles was enough. You need to make sure that the material you use is heat resistant. I use fiberglass cloth that you can get at any auto parts store in the body repair section.

Old 05-22-2010 | 07:19 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kansaskid72
I did ask about an exchange and they said no because I had put them on the bike. They said once installed, they won't take them back.
Yep, gotta love that! "Its an industry standard" Or so I was told. I think its a bunch of crap! Sell you a crappy product and once installed they wont stand behind it. I had a problem with a clutch recently. I ended up getting my money back. I was lucky.

If these companys would advertise "Once installed you own it. No returns, No exchanges. Dont call us with your problems unless it has a total failure" I doubt they would get the kind of sales they get. Or be able to charge as much as they do for this crap.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:18 AM
Grendel4
Banned

I bought some new Vance slip-ons. Got them all put on and noticed that one end of the heat shield fits just fine while the the end near the header pipes looks like it was formed for a 4" muffler body. Bad job of bending the radius.

I don't hate it, it just sort of bugs me. I've got a fix in mind for it (shimming the header heat shield to mate with it) but it still bugs me.

On yours? I don't know. Probably nothing you can do without ruining it. And I DO know it pisses you off, but do nothing for a while. You're possibly one of the few people it bothers. Not being a smart-****, just saying you may well get to where you forget about it.

What companies these days use as 'Factory Acceptable' are definitely not the same standards as a couple decades ago. And I don't mean just a few companies, a lot of companies.

The thing about OEM from Harley is it really is high quality. But the EPA has gotten their twisted little brains so far into the market, you can't get exhaust you really want to run from Harley.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:50 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

My dad just put some Bub 2-2's on his WG, and the quality is excellent. The chrome looks perfect.

They do however are kinda raspy. Not as deep as his V&H with the quiet baffles, and the other guys are right. You need to wrap the baffles to get a deeper tone if that is what your after. The Bub's don't have any glass around the baffles.

What kind of tune to you have? I know it sounds odd, but the tune WILL make a sound difference as well if your running too lean or too rich.

My Rineharts sound nice and deep and no odd sounds on decel.....the end cap is turning purple though.

Old 05-22-2010 | 03:59 PM
kansaskid72
|
Account Retired

I had the same problem with my rinehart endcaps going purple! Then orange. They had the best sound though!

I run Thundermax ECM...and it's tuned awesome.

I'd like to try to wrap the baffles more...or try BCT ones...how the heck do you get these out!?

Old 05-22-2010 | 05:28 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

I do love the sound my pipes make.

Well...your tune is on from the sounds of it. The baffles should be held in with a bolt after you take the end caps off. Should be pretty obvious once you look down there.

I had BCT baffles in my slip ons and they sounded REALLY good, nice and deep. It was however, too loud for me in the end. I'd try the wrap first (cheap) and if that helps deepen up the tone, great. Then...move on to the BCT baffles if your not happy.

Good luck!

I had the same problem with my rinehart endcaps going purple! Then orange. They had the best sound though!

I run Thundermax ECM...and it's tuned awesome.

I'd like to try to wrap the baffles more...or try BCT ones...how the heck do you get these out!?

Old 05-22-2010 | 05:42 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior

That really sucks! You'd think they would at least offer to exchange your heat sheilds. I have the BUB 2-1 and the chrome, fit and finish is flawless.

Old 05-22-2010 | 06:08 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

I did ask about an exchange and they said no because I had put them on the bike. They said once installed, they won't take them back.

Black would cure the problem, but I'm talking about the chrome one's here.

No one else is having the off-throttle trashy sound? It's not backfire or anything...just a paper trashy slapping type sound.

My thoughts are that my Rineharts were excellent sound and quality (except the endcaps). There was a split and Bub went one way and Rinehart Racing went the other. Quality down now because Rinehart left?? Who knows. I wouldn't recommend the chrome due to the defects, and they know about it and won't fix it. I wouldn't recommend the Straight Away pipes due to the sound above. If the baffles are the problem, then that is quality control as well. Either way, the company has a problem here and won't do anything about it.

If there is a Bub rep on here at all, I would gladly try another pair of the same kind and rewrite my opinion if I only got a bad pair. So far, they won't stand behind their product. I should have known, since my old system had faulty endcaps (widespread problem) where they would turn from black to orange and brown. They wouldn't replace that obvious defect either...thus me buying a new set. Rinehart reps told me the 3 year old system was a Bub product (even though Rinehart's name was all over it) and Bub would have to replace the endcaps. Well, they wouldn't. Only reason I went back to them was I loved the sound of my Rinehart slipons...but these aren't as deep sounding as those were.
On mine, the small shield that covers the muffler clamp fit like crap right out of the box. I emailed BUB and they asked for pics. I sent some and they sent me a new shield that fit much better, no charge

The pics were of it installed and they didn't have any problem with that.

Quick Reply: I do NOT recommend Bub pipes.