Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 WG throttle ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 WG throttle ?

When the dealer set up my throttle cables they were way too sloppy (meaning the handgrip can roll back and forward several degrees without doing anything to the gas delivery) , I removed most of the play but today when the dealer finished my 1k service they were back in the sloppy range; additionally the throttle is way too sensitive. Every bump, or movement tends to roll the throttle open. So its very hard to drive slowly over a rough road with any degree of smooth control. When I got home I again adjusted out the slop but still find the handgrip too easy to turn. It has no weight or resistance to it so with every bump the gas is on again off again. Am I the only one to experience this, is there any way to weigh the throttle so its not so sensitive? To me it feels like it need a slightly heaver spring?? Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjust the little **** under your throttle housing.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
pcbunn
Tourer

That's the first thing I tried and it worked somewhat before I took it in for the 1k service but the mechanic put so much oil in the housing that it wouldn't hold the throttle at all. I took the bike back and the mechanic said that it would work eventually. Duh! I want it to work now. So if it doesn't get better fast I quess I'll need to take the housing apart and see if I can dry it out or figure out how to make it hold.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pcbunn
When the dealer set up my throttle cables they were way too sloppy (meaning the handgrip can roll back and forward several degrees without doing anything to the gas delivery) , I removed most of the play but today when the dealer finished my 1k service they were back in the sloppy range; additionally the throttle is way too sensitive. Every bump, or movement tends to roll the throttle open. So its very hard to drive slowly over a rough road with any degree of smooth control. When I got home I again adjusted out the slop but still find the handgrip too easy to turn. It has no weight or resistance to it so with every bump the gas is on again off again. Am I the only one to experience this, is there any way to weigh the throttle so its not so sensitive? To me it feels like it need a slightly heaver spring?? Any suggestions?
You might be gripping it too tightly. Practice just resting your hand on it then grip it gently. You might also try a set of Kuryakken iso grips, they are a little bigger around so your hand isn't closed so tightly around it. The stock grips were too small for me and the iso grips made for way less tiring of my hands and a smoother twist. ----cheers---jack

Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the throttle too sensitive prior to the 1k service?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think u need to just get used to it a quick free moving throttle is not a bad thing I believe.
I am unsure why the star screw on the throttle doesn't tension up it on mine i can wind it up until the throttle is jammed and will not move at all? I use it on long rides to relax my arm.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
pcbunn
Tourer

Yea, the throttle was too sensitive before the 1k service. I didn't like it much then and I don't like it much now. The tensioner helped but it was my understanding that it was mostly just to hold the throttle open on long same speed roads and not to create constant drag when opening and closing. I use my ZX12R as a comparsion. It has 43k on it and the throttle is weighted nicely, just enough to make it stable, compared to it the new Harley is just way to easy to turn imho. Appreciate all the comments. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can add some ballast or resistance to it.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
osb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's actually by design. adjust the throttle cables to remove the play in the throttle.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
pcbunn
Tourer

Did the adjustment and took out the excessive movement so good on that front, now how to weight the movement? I'll take it apart this afternoon and see what can be done if anything, otherwise I'll just live with it! Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM
pcbunn
Tourer

Here's the latest on the throttle issue and why I'll never return to the dealer for service I can do myself. I opened the handgrip housing only to find that the friction pad of the throttle tensioner was completely dislodged, preventing the tensioner from working properly but allowing the threaded pin to dig into the side of the handgrip creating a big gouge in it. So I cleaned up the handgrip best I could, wiped out all the remaining oil and then smeared a medium coat of red synthetic grease on the inside of the grip and handlebar. Reassembled everything, adjusted out the excessive play and am now waiting to test it out (as soon as our gale force winds quit). I hope the grease will result in a slightly heavier throttle and that I have taken out all the excessive play in the cables...This is but another reason I will never take the bike back to the dealer. I found this out the first time I took the ZX12R in to Kawasaki so I should have assumed the same for the local Harley dealer....from now on I'll do all the work I have the tools to do. Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2010 WG throttle ?