Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Windshield Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Another Windshield Thread

I have read several threads on windshields for the Dynas...I have the 2010 FXD with the speedo mounted on the handlebar mount. I currently have the quick detach compact windshield. Keep in mind I have a few inches that I can adjust the windshield up or down. I have tried all positions and I still get very annoying wind buffeting on my head at speed. I really think the wind is buffeting the side of the helmet...not the top, but I don't know. Anyway...I want to lose the buffeting.

So the question is; what windshield or faring will cut the wind on my body but NOT buffet my head.

Please do not tell me to remove the windshield. I know about that option. Does anyone know if the sport shield will work? I am looking for solutions that work and are being used by riders.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have tried several different shields and they all caused it for me. Some worse than others but there are so many varialbes that what works for some may not work for others.

One thing that has seemed to help more than anything is Lowers. I got a set of Memphis shades lowers to try with a used shield I bought (HD Brackets and I bought a new Memphis shades screen). The testing I did they seemed to make a big difference. Havent had the shield or lowers back on the bike yet for a long test though as I prefer no shield most the time.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
FXD-raw
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 superglide with the same setup- a speedo on the handlebars. I went with the detachable sport windshield because I can put it on for the longer trips and take it ff for most riding.

The windshield works great for me. I'm 5'11" and it blocks all the wind I would expect. I don't have a problem with it blowing my head around at all. I'm guessing that you may be a bit taller than me? If that's the case, maybe you can get a lower seat that will allow you to sit a little lower. Anyway, heres a pic of what mine looks like.

Attached Thumbnails Another Windshield Thread-windshield.jpg   Another Windshield Thread-big-junction.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been riding the WindVest for a while now and like it more than not. I have it mounted to the risers and cannot change the angle easily. So, have a small amount of high frequency buffet > 75mph depending on how tall I sit. This definitely is coming from over the top of my shield.

Question for you: Do you know where the wind / buffeting is coming from? Is it coming over the top or from underneath. bberck makes a good point about the lowers, but you should find out before changing anything. Try holding your arm down in front of you across your body to block wind that might be coming underneath the windshield. If that doesn't change the problem, do the same again above / in front of your head. At least then you'll know what to fix. If lowers do the trick, easy money. If not try changing the angle of the shield instead of the height.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
sigmoid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried everything I could think of, moving the shield up or down, tilting it in or out, attaching the FL model deflector, the only really effective method is to add the lowers like those made by Memphis Shades. Not very nice looking but a lot more comfortable. The buffeting is coming up from around the bottom of the windshield, the air gets accelerated and turbulent as it goes around it.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Lowers, perhaps...anybody try the quarter fairing I see on the HD website??

Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FXD-raw
I have a 2008 superglide with the same setup- a speedo on the handlebars. I went with the detachable sport windshield because I can put it on for the longer trips and take it ff for most riding.

The windshield works great for me. I'm 5'11" and it blocks all the wind I would expect. I don't have a problem with it blowing my head around at all. I'm guessing that you may be a bit taller than me? If that's the case, maybe you can get a lower seat that will allow you to sit a little lower. Anyway, heres a pic of what mine looks like.
I am 5 ft 10 and maybe the detachable sport shield would work...that is the kind of answer I am looking for...thanks

Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Just got off the phone with Windvest...I sprung for a Windvest screen. The guy was knowledgeable, courteous and laid out the options and guarantees and gave me a discount. I will see if it cures the buffeting. He says it should and will refund my money if I am not happy with it.

I will soon have my HD quick detach compact shield up on eBay..LOL

Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Just got off the phone with Windvest...I sprung for a Windvest screen. The guy was knowledgeable, courteous and laid out the options and guarantees and gave me a discount. I will see if it cures the buffeting. He says it should and will refund my money if I am not happy with it.

I will soon have my HD quick detach compact shield up on eBay..LOL
I hated the HD QD shield, too much buffeting. I just got the Windvest 16" tall windshield and it's much better, then to really improve things I added the Memphis Shades lowers. Fork bag helps too.

Attached Thumbnails Another Windshield Thread-shield-009c.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldMike
I hated the HD QD shield, too much buffeting. I just got the Windvest 16" tall windshield and it's much better, then to really improve things I added the Memphis Shades lowers. Fork bag helps too.
Yeah...it is a bitch going from my Ducati Multistrada...no buffeting at any speed...to the HOG. This will be it for windshield attempts to kill the buffeting. I did just mount a new fork bag for my tools. So I will report after the shield gets here. I went with 14 inch to start.

Quick Reply: Another Windshield Thread