Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011 | 05:09 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

The standoffs I attempted to describe would be solid alloy, perhaps 3/4" diameter bar, w/ a 5/16 (or so) coarse thread tapped through its' centerline, or deep enough to permit 2X machine screw engagement; length determined by location and bracket design.

Old 04-09-2011 | 05:43 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

So, if I got this right, it would be like welding a coarse nut to the case in different locations. But instead of it being a nut it would be a post.

If that is the case it sounds like a good idea. I will have to talk to my welder about this setup instead.

Again, thanks for the ideas and help.

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:00 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, you got it. The idea is to provide threaded "bosses", standing proud, to bolt on your bracket.

Old 09-06-2011 | 04:25 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Anybody have any photos of what you've done so far ...?

Couldn't you just get a threaded stud/rod to replace the bolts on the primary case and use nuts to torque the primary cover down ...? Then you could use the stud that protruded out beyond the primary case as your mounting points for the exhaust bracket ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-06-2011 | 07:28 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

I'm still waiting too. I have about 7 or 8 weeks of riding left. I will then start on my 2009 Electra-Glide 2 into 2. I have test fitted it and now know where to cut/shorten and actually lengthen to make it fit. It will fit! Every bracket after the tranny will have to be fabbed. Biggest decision after that will be FLH style rubber isolated mounting from above (saddlebag mounts) or FLS style, hardmounted to the motor under the mufflers (actually just like the FLD).

Old 09-06-2011 | 07:59 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Wish you guys would put this to bed, every time it gets out of my head you bring it up and I want to do it all over again!!!! I have ideas but not sure how it would workout. Maybe I'll mess with it this winter.....

Old 11-12-2011 | 01:27 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Default what about equalizing back pressure?

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Ok, so I got some bad news today and I am back to the drawing board!
I contacted Bassani Exhaust and ask them to look into wether or not I would have fitment issues installing the "Hutch" true-dual system they sell. The rep there had his guys do a fit test and it seems that the "only" issue I would have with the fit is the front pipes bend when it comes off the cylinder, it would hit the frame. But, he didn't see were I would have any other issues as far as clearance. So here is my next plan, I think I am going to go by the local muffler shop and see if they can't work with me chopping and welding some pipe together. I even though about going by the local tech school and letting them have a go at it, I know the instructor of the weld shop. I think I am going to use the same path as the "hutch" system as my guide. After I get the exhaust built, then I will have the heat shield built and have them powdered in black along with the after market muffler tips.

Anyway, I will keep you all updated with the progress. How knows, maybe I will design a one off setup that can mount to a stock Dyna, then patent it and sell it to the highest bidder! (after the patent and before the selling, I will let you all in on the secrets, lol)
Did Bassani talk to you about pipe lengths needing to be equal length or as close as possible? Those bagger systems that have the crossover under the frame kinda defy that notion but can someone who knows the technology I'm referring to provide input on that dynamic? Bassani told me length is crucial to performance and I'm assuming it's all about back pressure.

Old 11-12-2011 | 02:06 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

Here is what I got done so far. Touring cross-under.

Old 11-13-2011 | 06:19 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master

A set of Dual Black Thunder Headers would be nice on a Dyna

Attached Thumbnails Road King Duals on a Low Rider??-1061.jpg  

Last edited by Dynaglide68; 11-13-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2012 | 11:57 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

After doing a cross country trip with the FLH style dual exhaust hanging from the saddlebags, I decided to create a FLST style system and mount the mufflers to the engine only.

The key is to support the left muffler. The bracket connects to the original muffler hanger on the right side and the "Rear Engine Isolater". The right side muffler is so strong that when it is connected, it becomes the third point of contact. The crossunder is supported by a stock FLHT crossunder support bracket. The mufflers are connected to the bracket from underneath. I've put a few hundred miles on it and it seems everything will be just fine.

Quick Reply: Road King Duals on a Low Rider??