Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011 | 10:15 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Angry

Just when you think you put an idea out of your head you guys come along and get it going again! I like the way the newer touring exhaust went on, looks promising!

Old 04-03-2011 | 07:04 PM
adamivon
Intermediate

Ok guys with that in mind how bout a set of CRF slip ons to go with that? just got back from a rally in Bandera TX and heard those pipes on a RG. the only one unique sound.

Old 04-04-2011 | 06:18 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

What are CRF slipons? I start experimenting with my 09 Electr-Glide exhaust this weekend and may have to find fishtail mufflers soon.

Old 04-09-2011 | 10:56 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

So here is where I am with my plan. I spoke with the rep at Bassani Exhaust about fitment of the Hutch exhaust system (Softail Exhaust) on a Dyna. While on hold he spoke with the engineer that designed the exhaust and they both came up. They seem to think that with some slight modification to the pipe coming off the front cylinder ( wouold have to cut, reangle and weld back together). The angle it comes out at currently, they think would hit the down tube either when installed or during the vibrations when motor is running. I would also have to do some modifications to my forward control shift arm.

As for mounting the system on the left side with a support. I found a second primary cover and I am looking into a few different ways to use or not use it for a place to mount a support arm. Here are two of my ideas. 1) I would use or design and make a bracket like Jim Nasi has to mount a license plate to the primary. Or 2) take a bracket like the one in idea #1 and weld it to the new primary cover in the same location. This would allow me to start the process of building structual support arms that will mount to this added material. I would mount a plate to this section and weld a piece od 1/2 round stock (rebar maybe) and extend it out to the muffler support.

As soon as I have the money to buy the system (header pipes only) I will be starting the work on this system. I am hoping it will be early summer, but might have to wait until next winter when the bike has some down time.

Here is a picture of the exhaust system and a link to its site. Below it is a picture of the Jim Nasi part I was talking about.

http://www.bassani.com/new_products.php?product=19

http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/access...e-bracket.html

Old 04-09-2011 | 11:00 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Also, I will be trying to get the system in its raw state and not chromed. I will be getting it coated in black, not only will this help the maintain my black out them it will also help the pipe running over the primary blend in with the motor. That is where joe will be playing a roll in the fab, also when he recoats the primary after mods are made to it.

Old 04-09-2011 | 11:08 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Here is my idea of what I will be adding to the primary for support. I am sure it might be over kill on material. but better to much rigid support then not enough.

Old 04-09-2011 | 01:03 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I for one am excited about what your doing. I think its a cool idea for a Dyna. Unfortunetly for me, my 2:1 fishtail setup is completely finished or I would be grabbing your ideas as fast as you think them up, but you never know........ Keep up the good work.

Old 04-09-2011 | 01:38 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I would be grabbing your ideas as fast as you think them up.
Yea, that is why I put them out there. Cause if I am never able to do this, I don't mind letting other take my idea's. If I have to weld a bracket to the primary case to complete this job and tried to sell the True-dual set up like this to some campany, the package price would be crazy. Exhaust plus a new primary cover not to mention the install fees for those that won't do it themselves.

Old 04-09-2011 | 04:08 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default tip

Caution--Welding on the primary case will try to warp it, possibly beyond the point at which it will seal, even though some of that warpage could be drawn down with the mounting screws. And straightening it after welding is virtually impossible, w/o risking damage to sealing surfaces.

It looks like the best approach to minimize warpage would be to individually tig-weld widely-spaced female-threaded standoffs, at structurally strong points along the cover, giving you a place to bolt-on a separate bracket substantial enough to support the cantilever load under vibration & shock. The standoffs' ends can be surfaced after welding, so you can tune their lengths in-place. Tig should produce a clean enough weld that virtually no hand detail work will be required, and heat will be concentrated in small spots, w/ cooling time in between, rather than spread out over a large area. And the bolted interface will avoid warpage from the bracket portion during cooling. Ideally, one would bolt the cover to an old case, to fixture it during welding.

Unless you can do expert tig welding, to keep the cost down, you can do all the prefabricating, fitting, and location-marking of these standoffs, leaving a simple, short welding job for a pro.

Old 04-09-2011 | 04:44 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Lo-rider-
I guess it's a good thing I have just the guy for this. He is a master welder, has been welding for 25+ years & now teaches welding to future master welders!
Also, the primary cover in the picture is one I bought used just for the reasons you have mentioned.

I will look into finding a used/cracked case to mount the cover to. I had wondered about the warpage and was planning on machining a flat surface and making a mounting block to put the cover on.

Anyways thanks for the insight. Can you post some pics of the style of screw mounts you were talking about so I can get an idea of what you are describing?

Quick Reply: Road King Duals on a Low Rider??